We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental OR private driver

Washington DC
8 posts
Car Rental OR private driver

Hi, heaidng down over the Xmas holiday, need a 4x4 for five days to rent, any suggestions? Alternatively, if not too expensive open to having a car and driver, perhaps easier to navigate and little more "peace of mind." All suggestions welcome.

Thanks

13 replies to this topic
1. Re: Car Rental OR private driver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2016, 05:46

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
10,009 posts
70 reviews
2. Re: Car Rental OR private driver

See transportation options here - https:/…Transportation.html .

If you can afford a car with a local driver/guide, especially since you have a short time in CR, there is no doubt, IMHO, that it would be more relaxing for you, and the driver can stop wherever you want, to take photos at a nice spot or simply to stretch your legs, but the main thing - he can deliver you to your destination, without you having to worry about traffic, road conditions or getting lost. It won't be cheap though.

San Francisco de...
12 posts
3. Re: Car Rental OR private driver

I agreed, many experiences even for locals, that since you are driving you miss a lot of interesting spots on the road, in Costa Rica, there is always stops to make!! pura Vida!!

Edited: 28 November 2016, 23:04
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
20,038 posts
62 reviews
4. Re: Car Rental OR private driver

If budget allows, and for the ultimate peace of mind, hire a car&driver. If choosing wisely, you will get not only a prudent and experienced driver but also a knowledgeable guide. And if choosing Luis from Tucan Limo Services, you might even get a new friend for life (we did!).

Austin
Level Contributor
206 posts
68 reviews
5. Re: Car Rental OR private driver

I'd opt for a private driver. We learned so much and saw so much from our driver, Wilson, at Coati Tours. He and his wife, Elsy, own the company and are the best people ever.

Orange County
Level Contributor
116 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Car Rental OR private driver

We are renting from budget.cr.

go directly to their website so you can add all insurances and get a price, you can also prepay so you don't have surprises there.

Depends what you want to do there. what is your itinerary?

we will be moving a lot, from Liberia to Arenal , then Tamarindo, then Playa del Coco, then Liberia again; 14-24Dec it was $600 including road assistance and all insurances. We want to be independent, plus not going to take tours, go directly to operators, cutting cost that way.

Edited: 30 November 2016, 17:34
Orange County
Level Contributor
116 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Car Rental OR private driver

be prepared to filter messages on this forum... a lot are done by business owners or people that have some interest in recommending a way or another...

that is how they lure clients in...;-)

Edited: 30 November 2016, 17:37
Washington DC
8 posts
8. Re: Car Rental OR private driver

thank you, they had cars --

Fleming Island...
Level Contributor
189 posts
135 reviews
9. Re: Car Rental OR private driver

First part of our trip for 7 nights was done by private and shared transfers. We had never done a trip this way and I would not recommend it. 2nd part was much more fun because we had a car for 8 days! We covered a lot of distance and it gave us freedom not to be stuck some place for too long. We rented from Mapache in La Fortuna, dropped off at San Jose. 450 bucks for A small 4x4 Daihatsu Bego. The car had no power but it got us through steep hills and muddy roads. We loved having a car in CR!Leaving today.

Orange County
Level Contributor
116 posts
8 reviews
10. Re: Car Rental OR private driver

Kloos5 - Did you feel in danger in any way?

Did you add all insurances? How about GPS? Should I buy one local? I don't want to pay $100 just for renting one. I bought a map (physical) do I need more than that?

Reply to: Car Rental OR private driver
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Playa Negra