We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road from Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Road from Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe.

Is this road always open apart from extreme snow storms?

Do you have to carry tire/snow chains to pass on this road?

I have recently asked on this forum about visiting Yosemite and as we have a rental car booked thought it best to skip that diversion.

We need to get to Tahoe for a wedding so hope that we can drive there without the possible need to use chains.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road from Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe.

Yes this road is well maintained and unless it's snowing like mad it will be open. You may be required to install chains if it is actively snowing. If it's not snowing the road would be cleared of snow and you wouldn't need to install chains.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road from Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe.

Thanks for the reply .

Why do people plan weddings in places with a risk of snow storms?

Must be romantic?

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road from Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe.

Well it's very pretty. When is this wedding? Coming up?

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,071 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road from Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe.

You really can not tell this far in advance when you'll need chains. I see from one of your other threads that you are traveling at the end of March, you could very well need chains then. It has been a very dry year so far but the mountains are supposed to get significant snowfall tonight.

What's going to happen at the end of March is anyones guess.

I would assume you are planning to travel on Hwy.50 which is well maintained. It is very seldom that it is actually closed but when it is snowing chains are required. So far this year these snow events have been short lived and the chain requirements have been lifted after a few hours. Last year, however, they were in effect for days at a time.

I would watch the weather forecast and if it looks like snow is possible I would buy a set of chains and have them with you just in case. You can return them if you don't use them.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road from Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe.

Ok , more excellent information. Thanks.

So being patient and waiting may avoid the need to put on the chains even if it is snowing?

And you are correct , we heading there end of March so I'll keep an eye on the weather.

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road from Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe.

The end of March is nearing the end of the snow season. Many times I have traveled over Hwy 50 in snow storms when chains were not required and the roads were safe. They only require chains when the snow removal crew can not remove it fast enough. The chances are you will not have to worry about chains.....but it could happen.

Lake Tahoe is a beautiful place and a very popular wedding location. Once you get to Lake Tahoe you will understand. Snow on the moutains adds to the ambiance of Lake Tahoe.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,176 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road from Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe.

"So being patient and waiting may avoid the need to put on the chains even if it is snowing?"

Where do you plan on purchasing chains for your rental car?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road from Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe.

I really don't want to use the chains as I'll have a rental car - also one equipped with GPS.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,610 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road from Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe.

If you can, plan your itinerary so that you are in Lake Tahoe a couple days before the wedding - that way, if a storm comes in on the day you plan to drive to Lake Tahoe, you can wait it out at a lower elevation and not have to worry about chains (and not miss the wedding).

10. Re: Road from Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 16:42