We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road trip to jackson hole from minneapolis in late Sept

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
road trip to jackson hole from minneapolis in late Sept

Hi all, would LOVE any advice you can give.

My best friend is getting married in Jackson Hole, WY on Fri. Sept. 28, 2012. After weighing the costs/options, we have decided to do a road trip there and back. We have an SUV, and pull a Scamp trailer. Our girls will be almost 6 and almost 4.

We have AT BEST 12 days, (which includes two weekends). Of course, we would love to go longer, but since school will just be starting, we don't want to be gone too long... and we can't do much about the dates, since the wedding is planned. Best case scenario is to leave Fri Sept 21 and get home on Oct 1 or 2.

We should get to Jackson Hole sometime on Wed the 26th, and probably leave there on Sun the 30th. Our lodging is covered while we are there.

My question is what are your recommendations for travel route (can be different on the way & back), and for what sites we should see? This is a first for the girls and for me, but my husband has been to Yellowstone a few times. I feel like we "should" go there, since it is the closest thing, but also want to make sure we use our time wisely & not short-change ourselves. We will definitely do the big out West trip in the next few years, so I'm not worried about missing anything--moreso want to make this an easy and fun trip for all of us.

Camping while we drive is basically like tenting--we don't use water/septic. Electric hook-up is nice, but we can get by without it if needed.

Also, we don't want to do the Black Hills/Rushmore stuff--that's in the plans for 2014. :)

Any help is greatly appreciated!! (And budget is definitely an issue--pretty much doing this as cheaply as possible.)

TIA!

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,712 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road trip to jackson hole from minneapolis in late Sept

There's basically 2 routes, one north and one south, of about equal distance, each 2 long days of driving. Since you're traveling in late September and will be camping, I'd take the northern route coming out here and the southern route going back.

Northern route: Minneapolis-Fargo-Billings-Jackson.

Southern route: Jackson-Casper-Rapid City-Sioux Falls-Minneapolis.

There's a lot of information on the Internet about what to see along the way.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,216 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: road trip to jackson hole from minneapolis in late Sept

Fun trip! I'd take the northern route right to Yellowstone. Then head south to Jackson. Many services and campgrounds will be closing up in September in Yellowtone. Madison CG (very nice, we were there a few summers ago) is open until mid Oct and close to West Yellowstone if you need to get supplies. Mammoth CG is open year round.

Sep 21 Day 1 MN to Bismark ND - KOA there

Sep 22 Day 2 To Billings MT - KOA there as well

Sep 23 Day 3 To YS either Mammoth CG or Madison CG- Probably need to make reservations.

Sep 24 Day 4 YS

Sep 25 Day 5 YS

Sep 26 Day 6 YS to Jackson

Sep 27 Day 7 Jackson

Sep 28 Day 8 Jackson

Sep 29 Day 9 Jackson

Sep 30 Day 10 Jackson to Casper WY-KOA

Oct 1 Day 11 Casper to Sioux Falls SD - KOA

Oct 2 Day 12 To St Paul

3. Re: road trip to jackson hole from minneapolis in late Sept

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 07:41
Get answers to your questions about Jackson Hole