We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Markham

Oviedo, Florida
8 posts
Markham

I have been searching a hotel that is rated fourvery clean, includes a pool and would be a plus if breakfast and free parking. I found that Markham had good prices and a couple were 30 minutes to Toronto which we need. Do you know of any others that are less in price but super clean? It doesnt have to be in Markham and we dont need a suite. Just two bed ls for parents(us) and our 15 yr daughter

10 replies to this topic
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
25,824 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Markham

Since we don't know what your budget is (in CAD$$), it makes it rather difficult to suggest something that is "less in price". As for the "super clean", most hotels are clean. Most of the hotels in the Markham area are chain hotels.

Staying in Markham is something of a false economy... there isn't much in the way of dining or attractions up there, public transit is poor, the time & effort spent in commuting into the city in extremely heavy traffic is frustrating & tiresome, and any money you "save" by being up there will be spent on expensive parking in the city.

Paradise, Canada
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: Markham

Markham is north east of downtown Toronto. It may be 30 min right now at 11:10 p.m. You have to take into account traffic during the day, especially if you get caught in rush hour traffic during the weekdays or there is an accident on the 404/DVP (Don Valley Parkway) to Gardiner Expressway. It could add another 30 min or more to your drive to downtown Toronto.

What is your budget in $CAD per night for accommodations? Two hotels to keep in mind that are on the subway line to get you to downtown Toronto. Are the Holiday Inn Yorkdale. It is very close to the subway #1 line Yorkdale station. https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g155…

Or the Novotel Toronto North York. It's is very close to the subway #1 line (North York Centre)

Here is the TTC subway map (public transportation)

There is also https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g155… Located in Scarborough, closer to your parents.

Oviedo, Florida
8 posts
3. Re: Markham

We are staying for nine days and we figure the Hampton Inn would be good. We have a car and i know what traffic is like downtown but my husbsnd has no problem driving down there. As for staying : it has to be close to my parents living east Scarborough and we are looking to spend under 2000.00 for 3 of us. Seeing we have car and we are buyinh tickets online for the places we sre going to Ex Riply’s Aquarium and 360 restaurant in CN Tower and dinner in Eaton Centre, we might not be staying much in hotel except one day to use the things like swimming and gym and relax for a day. What do you think. It has to be exceptionally clean and Hampton Inn got an excellent rating which is what i like. Markham seems to closer than all rest cause my oarents live near lake Ontario off Markham and Kingston. Yorkville and Northyork are too far for parents whom we will see daily. Delta is too kid friendly. I love kids but we want some place quiet.

Edited: 21 March 2018, 16:28
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
25,824 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Markham

Most of us would not stay there, but if it works for you price wise and has the amenities that you want then do it. I'm not sure any of us can make any other suggestions than what have already been given. if you were inclined to go east from Scarborough, there is a Hilton Garden Inn and a Homewood Suites in Ajax, at the 401 and Salem Rd. - about 20 - 30 minutes from Markham & Kingston Rds.

Oviedo, Florida
8 posts
5. Re: Markham

Thank for all you guys input. I am very indecisive so for comparison i am going to look at the Ajax ones. Isnt Ajax further out. My mum said it was east and Markham was north but seems that both take the same amount of time to travel to Guildwood.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
25,824 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Markham

Do you know how to use google maps? It's an invaluable resource you should learn to use. For travel times, you can adjust the departure time & date. Right now, for example, on this link it is showing rush hour traffic so drive time is slow.

https://goo.gl/maps/fooWx6mJbaC2

Edited: 21 March 2018, 17:40
West Grey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
84,029 posts
103 reviews
7. Re: Markham

Hi 030622;

It all depend on your priorities.

If your main focus is your parents, then Markham or Ajax it is.

Only you know what's best for your family.

Best Regards

Oviedo, Florida
8 posts
8. Re: Markham

Thank you for all your comments. I weighed everything and also talked to my cousin who lhas lived there and now lives in stratford.we are not going to spend anytime in Markham. I have used google for every hotel i have looked at. Holifay Inn has no pool and not excellent reviews like Hampton Inn has. My husband is from California Los Angelos area and we both have experience driving those freeways. No big deal however we wont choose rush hr times to travel as our times will be very flexible. Thanks again.

West Grey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
84,029 posts
103 reviews
9. Re: Markham

You're Welcome !

FYI...

1) Toronto traffic and congestion has been labelled the worst in North America

2) Rush hour in the Greater Toronto Area is approx. 7 am to 10 am / 3 pm to 7 pm

Best Regards

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
247 reviews
10. Re: Markham

If you are looking at staying near the Guild and that is what that area is called here. There are pockets along Kingston Road where you do not want a hotel room. You will probably be happier staying in Ajax or on Markham Road North of the 401. If you want somewhere close to your family.

Reply to: Markham
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Markham