We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why do agents push Bahia?

4 posts
Why do agents push Bahia?

I want to travel to an all inclusive resort anywhere in the south with my peanut allergic son. I’ve contacted a few agents and they always suggest the Bahia line if resorts. I’ve already contacted a few of the Bahia resorts and they don’t have an allergy program and they were not reassuring AT ALL about being about to keep my son safe.

So I was wondering why agents push the bahia. The ones I contacted clearly didn’t do any research before making their recommendations.

Feeling frustrated and discouraged.

7 replies to this topic
Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,333 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Why do agents push Bahia?

Bahias are a very large chain with lots of amenities. Why not do your own research reading reviews? Set a budget, find a location and start researchin.

But having been to over 15 all inclusive resorts non have an “allergy prevention programs”.

There will be peanut butter readily available at the buffet.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
20,558 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Why do agents push Bahia?

they push any product from which they get the most commission

they rarely know anything about the product.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,333 posts
34 reviews
3. Re: Why do agents push Bahia?

Not really true, travel agents get commission from the carriers, ie AirTransat, Sunwing, Air Canada Vacations, not from the resorts.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
484 posts
84 reviews
4. Re: Why do agents push Bahia?

Bahia's are just generally good properties. They likely 'push' them because most people who go to them are very satisfied. I'll give you an example, my Dad (who's old) used to book vacations through Sears Travel (you know the little booth in the stores) they booked him at a Bahia, now he only travels to their properties.

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,531 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Why do agents push Bahia?

Their resorts are very large and at a good medium price point for most people. We went to one years ago in Mexico. It was fine but we prefer smaller resorts. As a poster above mentioned, it's probably best to do your own research so you can find something you like. Years ago we had to rely on travel agents and a few photos in a travel booklet. Now, you can read hundreds of reviews of most places, view hundreds of photos etc.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,860 posts
51 reviews
6. Re: Why do agents push Bahia?

You probably need to self-cater.

4 posts
7. Re: Why do agents push Bahia?

So I did a bit of research and the Bahia has a pretty lucrative rewards program for agents.

I’ll do my own research and book on my own it seems like. It would have liked to have help from an agent for all those extras like what paperwork to bring and what foods are allowed on the flight. We have travelled in years. And someone said I am not specific on what I want. I left it open so the agent could be flexible to get the safest resort/flight - the most important thing is keeping my kids safe.

Reply to: Why do agents push Bahia?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Markham