We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Markam to Toronto to sightsee without a rental car

Honolulu
7 posts
1 review
Markam to Toronto to sightsee without a rental car

Am staying at the Hilton Suites on 8500 Warden Ave. Don't want to take the bus. What is best option to get into Toronto to sightsee?

19 replies to this topic
Toronto
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
646 reviews
1. Re: Markam to Toronto to sightsee without a rental car

It's easiest to use Google Maps to check the transit options ... simply get the directions from your hotel to Union Station to get right downtown.

You're staying very far from the tourist attractions so your options will include buses/commuter trains. Taxi would be horribly expensive.

Honolulu
7 posts
1 review
2. Re: Markam to Toronto to sightsee without a rental car

Thank you. I've been checking and am sad that my hotel, no choice of mine, is so far away from Toronto and taxi will be extremely expensive. Is Finch Station the closest metro to where I am in Markam (8500 Warden Ave)? Otherwise, which metro line is the closest to my hotel?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
26 reviews
3. Re: Markam to Toronto to sightsee without a rental car

OP Metro is a chain of grocery stores here, what you want is a SUBWAY. Ask for the nearest Metro and you will be off buying steaks.

Honestly, there is no subway station close to you. You NEED to take a bus and pay a double fare. You could walk to Highway 7 and take Viva to Finch Station or the the 68B from your hotel at Clegg Road and Warden to Warden Subway Station.

The choice is yours but given you are staying in the boonies, there is no choice BUT to take a bus.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
146 reviews
4. Re: Markam to Toronto to sightsee without a rental car

Finch Station is the closest subway station to you. You can reach it by taking the York Region Transit 302 bus or Viva Pink bus which stop very close to your hotel, and then take Line 1 from Finch into Toronto. Your hotel will surely assist you with this, and Google Maps covers transit for all around Toronto.

Canada
Level Contributor
10,372 posts
81 reviews
5. Re: Markam to Toronto to sightsee without a rental car

Unless you want to walk or take a taxi then you need to get a bus. What's wrong with a bus? Too plebian?

West Grey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
84,097 posts
103 reviews
6. Re: Markam to Toronto to sightsee without a rental car

HI Margo;

Renting a car would be an option, but parking in downtown Toronto is quite expensive.

Best Regards

Honolulu
7 posts
1 review
7. Re: Markam to Toronto to sightsee without a rental car

Thank you all for your advice. Living in Honolulu where there is no subway/rail system and the fact that the last time I took the bus was in 8th grade, trying to navigate my way to Toronto by walking, bus and subway is intimidating to this 70+ senior. I have tried to map my way on the TTC trip planner but find it a little daunting, especially traveling alone. So with trip planner in hand, I hope to survive my adventure to see Toronto, especially having traveled all this way from Hawaii to accompany my daughter who is attending a business conference in Markam. Aloha all.

Honolulu
7 posts
1 review
8. Re: Markam to Toronto to sightsee without a rental car

If any of you have more options and advice, please continue to post them. Thank you again.

Paradise, Canada
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
23 reviews
9. Re: Markam to Toronto to sightsee without a rental car

Hi Margo

Now it all makes sense about not wanting to take the bus. If I were a senior and not use to taking public transit, then I would find the TTC system (also the GTA) of buses, streetcars and subways very daunting. If you have a cell phone you can download the google maps on to it. You don;'t need data to use the maps.

Take a look at this link. It's for transit travel from the Hilton in Markham to the CN Tower.

https://goo.gl/maps/HYG4UpkyE242

You could also take the Go Train from Langstaff station in Richmond Hill to Union Station in Toronto. More comfortable ride on the Go Train than on a subway train.

https://www.gotransit.com/en/

Have a great trip in my hometown Toronto.

Edited: 05 September 2018, 15:56
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
9,443 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: Markam to Toronto to sightsee without a rental car

Unfortunately, it's almost a 90-minute hour trip to downtown Toronto by public transport. If it's rush hour you take the westbound Pink VIVA line from Highway 7 to Finch Station, then the #1 subway train down Yonge St.

If it's not rush hour you take the Purple to Yonge St, then the Blue to Finch. The good news is that the Purple and Pink line run in their own right of way with little bus stations on Highway 7, so it's almost like a rail line, even though it's a bus.

Get schedules from YRT (York Region Transit); the Toronto subway runs ever 4 minutes, so that's the easy part.

And they are separate fares; there is a free transfer from Purple to Blue, but you pay again for the TTC subway train. Here is a nice map of the VIVA bus routes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:VIVA_Bus_…

Edited: 05 September 2018, 16:55
Reply to: Markam to Toronto to sightsee without a rental car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Markham