We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Markam to Toronto to sightsee without a rental car

Honolulu
7 posts
1 review
Markam to Toronto to sightsee without a rental car

Am staying at the Hilton Suites on 8500 Warden Ave. Don't want to take the bus. What is best option to get into Toronto to sightsee?

19 replies to this topic
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
9,409 posts
5 reviews
11. Re: Markam to Toronto to sightsee without a rental car

The Google Maps way to find your way downtown:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Highway+7+%2F+Warden+Av,+Markham,+ON+L3R+1J2,+Canada/300+King+St+W,+Toronto,+ON+M5V+1J2,+Canada/@43.7506334,-79.5530273,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x89d4d4562c07b20f:0x2a23f4945999248d!2m2!1d-79.334928!2d43.855718!1m5!1m1!1s0x882b34d0e4ac59af:0xfa488623c48b6f8d!2m2!1d-79.3892241!2d43.6469701

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
646 reviews
12. Re: Markam to Toronto to sightsee without a rental car

I think the routes listed in #4 are not too complicated....you can also ask people if you need directions - generally people are friendly and will be happy to assist.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
42 reviews
13. Re: Markam to Toronto to sightsee without a rental car

Margo, Nick gave you the straight forward answer @#4. Take the bus to Finch station and then take subway downtown. People in Metro Toronto are very helpful in assisting tourists in getting around.

Another thing I wish to mention is often large hotels have courtesy van and if you ask the concierge possibly they can drive south on Warden to Steeles Ave where you take 1 bus to Finch and one fare as opposed to paying to take a Viva bus to Finch and pay again for ttc

When I was in Richmond BC last year and stayed at a Holiday Inn they saved me time by driving me to closest sky train station.

As you are in your 70s have your ID on you so you pay senior fare as opposed to adult fare where appropriate

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
25,836 posts
15 reviews
14. Re: Markam to Toronto to sightsee without a rental car

The additional information is helpful.

I notice on the hotel website they may have some kind of a courtesy bus ... they mention one in their maps & directions. It might be an idea when you get to the hotel to ask what services they offer with a courtesy bus. They may for example be able to drive you to the subway station.

Honolulu
7 posts
1 review
15. Re: Markam to Toronto to sightsee without a rental car

Thank you. I researched YRT and now know what you mean by pink, green, etc. bus lines. In Honolulu, we ONE bus company servicing the whole island. Very simple. I appreciate all your information and references.

Honolulu
7 posts
1 review
16. Re: Markam to Toronto to sightsee without a rental car

Thanks to your advice, I have researched the GO Train and find that it might be a good option since Unionville Station is closer to me than Finch TTC. I am a little overwhelmed by the fact that there are so many different transit types and lines. Thanks to all your recommendations, I would not have known about them all. Spent more than 5+ hours online figuring out the best routes, prices, timelines. I truly appreciate your expertise and willingness to help me out.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
146 reviews
17. Re: Markam to Toronto to sightsee without a rental car

Margo, if you do run into any issues don't hesitate to look for staff of the transit system who will be certain to help, or just ask someone. You'll find that most people here will be only too happy to assist you with getting where you want to be.

Honolulu
7 posts
1 review
18. Re: Markam to Toronto to sightsee without a rental car

Returned from Toronto and Markam with sane mind and new experiences. THANK YOU to all who provided great suggestions for my transportation needs from Markam to Toronto. I took all of your advice to use the VIVA Pink bus, GO train, TTC and taxi.

Did a lot of pre-planning, mapping and internet research before I left Hawaii. I ended up catching the VIVA Pink each day to and from Unionville Station where I caught the GO Train into Toronto. While in Toronto, I used the TTC subway. As needed, I bit the bullet and took a taxi. The VIVA pink bus station to Unionville Station was only 2 blocks from my Hilton Suites Hotel. The GO Train from Unionville station was great, except for rush hour crowds in the morning where seats were not always available, but it was a smooth, quiet train ride until I encountered Union Station. Wow!! Chaotic and a little frightening until I could get my bearings. Seems that Toronto is under construction, which added to confusion at Union Station and the city in general. Without all your suggestions, I would not have known about the many transportation options out there. In Honolulu, we have ONE bus company, period!! No need to think too much about which mode of transportation to use. Glad I put my issue out there and grateful to all for your help. Visiting Toronto was a very memorable experience. ALOHA.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
646 reviews
19. Re: Markam to Toronto to sightsee without a rental car

Great to hear and thanks for reporting back.

Reply to: Markam to Toronto to sightsee without a rental car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Markham