We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver to the Wine region in July 2012

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Vancouver to the Wine region in July 2012

I'm flying in to Vancouver for a week and would like to take my university age daughter on a mini Vacay to the wine region hopefully staying at the Spirit lodge for a few days. Can any one recommend the best route and the best stops/sites along the way to make it really special? I was looking at Hope and Princeton as some possible stops but would like some local advise.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,389 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver to the Wine region in July 2012

Welcome to the forum maccers2010 ~

www.williams-lake.com/regions/towns/…

The route to Osoyoos is along Highway 3 and takes about 5 hours, stops extra. It happens to be scenic as well. The above link will describe the journey and at the end of the article are links to places, which will in turn open up to descriptions of them.

I would also look at the Okanagan Valley Forum, in particular the "Things to Do" section with its tabs for attractions and tours.

Between Vancouver and Hope is called the Fraser Valley.

williams-lake.com/regions/towns/index.asp…

There is Fort Langley on the south side of the Fraser River. On the north side of the river is Westminster Abbey at Mission, BC with its beautiful architecture and sculptures, and its stunning view over the valley from the trail end. Also on the north side of the river just west of Mission is Stave Lake powerhouse and dam.

www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/bc/langley/index.aspx

…shaw.ca/panthers7/WestminsterAbbey01.html

bchydro.com/community/recreation_areas/stave…

If you did want to take those 5 hours in two sections, you might consider staying at Manning Park Lodge. There is access to trails there. Lightning Lakes is an easy loop trail. You can also take the road right across from the lodge up the mountain to the alpine meadows.

http://www.manningpark.com/

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,797 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver to the Wine region in July 2012

Hi

I would spend more time in the Okanagan then trying to stop between Van and Osoyoos. Manning Park lodge is our usually rest stop on the way to the Valley. There is nothing noteworhty in Princeton but I would stop for lunch at Benza in Keremeos. From Keremeos you can go south via Cawston and Richter Pass and stop at spotted lake just before Osoyoos. In Osoyoos you can get into watersports or if you plan on visiting wineries this is a good route.

http://g.co/maps/kpdth

and from Nk'mip you should consider driving to the top of mountain for one of the best vistas of the valley it is a 5 min drive. http://g.co/maps/3uwra

and www.thewinefestivals.com/members/index/20

cheers

cb

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver to the Wine region in July 2012

I think you have been given pretty good advice in the first two posts. I might come down myself with a blend of the two. Take it easy and do it in two jumps, stopping off at some sights along the way. Get to either Princeton or Keremeos to end your day (I'm not so dismissive of Princeton especially if History is an interest of you and your daughter: flickr.com/photos/… ). Then take an easy drive the rest of the way the next morning. But not more than the one stop. Whatever you decide, have a good time.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,349 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver to the Wine region in July 2012

I'd agree with Highway 3 out to Osoyous as being a lovely drive. The other option to look at (or to make it a loop) is to do the Fraser Canyon (Highway 1) as far as Spence's Bridge and then take Highway 8 through Merritt and on to the 97C to Kelowna. Either route would be scenic and offer plenty of options for stops.

As Mufti mentioned, if you want to take your time over it, using Highway 7 along the north side of the valley is more interesting (and slower) than taking highway 1. I would even divert onto Dewdney Trunk Road in Maple Ridge and head out that way into Mission. A lovely drive if you have time.

Lots of great stops along the way. Once you've settled on your route, then its pretty easy to sort them out. Driving to Osoyous along highway 3 directly is about 5 hrs of driving, so if you add in stops and scenic routes, you are well served to take a couple of days over it. I'd spend the night at Manning Park Lodge, myself.

And Princeton has a wonderful community museum with quite an interesting rock collection. :>

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
3,126 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver to the Wine region in July 2012

Take Hwy 3, and I agree that stopping in Hope and Princeton are both bathroom/gas fill up only. If you only have a few days, stop briefly at Manning Park to stretch you legs and get a coffee, and just enjoy the scenery until you get to Osoyoos.

Because you have a young daughter, you may find the Watermark a better choice than Spririt Ridge. The Watermark in right in town, and walking distance to the public beach, restaurants, coffee shops, etc. Walnut beach is right on the lake, another good choice, and it is on 'campground row' where there are a lot of other young people hanging about the beaches, biking or blading on the pathways.

Another tip: the Osoyoos Golf Club has a nice restaurant with an amazing view that is open to the public. The Pizza place across from Super-Value is also great for teens Also, the border is very close, you can go acrooss the line and shop at Prince's, eat at Trino's Mexican or the family restaurant just down the street.

It will be hot..but it's dry heat!

Edited: 05 April 2012, 20:31
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,760 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Vancouver to the Wine region in July 2012

You're forgetting the Similkameen-certainly worth more than a cursory exploration and not just for wine some of the finest organic veggies in the province are grown there.

http://similkameenwine.com/

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,760 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Vancouver to the Wine region in July 2012

Lest we forget the fruit-try the Blackberry Port if you have a chance.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vancouver to the Wine region in July 2012

Thanks for the update.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vancouver to the Wine region in July 2012

Thanks, I have booked at the Watermark as the Spirit was too expensive and the deals they had only lasted until June. My daughter is a bit older than yours so we will be doing the winery route.

Thanks for the tip about going across the border. That might be fun.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vancouver to the Wine region in July 2012

Just booked Watermark for 5 nights in July, $69.00 a night..gotta love Priceline,was expecting to pay 200-275 per night..now, for a non drinker can someone suggest some interesting venues,views or events? best scenic restaurant? Thanks in advance!

Edited: 06 April 2012, 12:42
Get answers to your questions about Osoyoos