We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What type of accommodation is available in Newmarket/Toronto

wicklow
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
What type of accommodation is available in Newmarket/Toronto

I'm hoping to visit Canada on a working holiday visa next year. I am starting off in Ontario and was looking at Newmarket. I was wondering what kind of accommodation is available and which would be the best (and most affordable) to go with, or would I be better off staying nearer to Toronto. Any advice is welcome

Thank you

11 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,299 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What type of accommodation is available in Newmarket/Toronto

Newmarket is a former market town that has grown into a bedroom community of Toronto. It is not well connected to Toronto by rapid transit except for during peak commuting times.You would really need a car to avoid mobility inconveniences, and if you wished to access Toronto you'd be looking at a 30- 60 minute drive depending on time of day. Is there a reason why you would be considering basing yourself there?

On the surface, Toronto would be a much better location to stay, but you should elaborate on your intentions before you can receive proper advice here.

wicklow
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What type of accommodation is available in Newmarket/Toronto

Thank you for your reply.

I was looking at Newmarket simply because I know someone in Keswick and she suggested it for hotels. Unfortunately I don't drive so Toronto would probably be the better option for transport, and accommodation (and hopefully work)

thank you for your advice :)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,299 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What type of accommodation is available in Newmarket/Toronto

You're welcome! If you have questions about Toronto hop over to the Toronto forum:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g155019-i55-Toronto…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,207 posts
797 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What type of accommodation is available in Newmarket/Toronto

Newmarket is cheaper to stay, but not a heck of a lot to do, especially with no car...I'd stay down in Toronto...

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
2,707 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What type of accommodation is available in Newmarket/Toronto

As someone who lives in Newmarket, I would not recommend it as a place to stay when visiting Toronto. Not that there is anything wrong with it, and we do have several hotels here, but if the purpose of your visit is to see Toronto, then you should stay in Toronto.

If you were planning on having a vehicle and wanted to see many places in Southern Ontario and wanted a base somewhere, then that might be different. We're located a short drive from a lot of places, like Toronto (40 min), Lake Simcoe (30 min), Collingwood (60 min), Muskoka (90 min), etc, but there's not that much for a tourist in Newmarket.

wicklow
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What type of accommodation is available in Newmarket/Toronto

Thank you

wicklow
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What type of accommodation is available in Newmarket/Toronto

Very helpful thank you, I will check out some of the places you mentioned too as I want to travel around a bit.

Level Contributor
7 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What type of accommodation is available in Newmarket/Toronto

There are several reasonably priced hotels here in Newmarket. Your bigger issue will be transportation - unless you are renting a car you will have to use buses ( lots and quite regularly scheduled) or trains ( tricker for scheduling).

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
82,761 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What type of accommodation is available in Newmarket/Toronto

Gratton4;

Before jumping into a discussion, it's best to check the dates. This is an old post from 2015.

Best Regards

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What type of accommodation is available in Newmarket/Toronto

Rental accommodation in Toronto is slim, very expensive, and short terms are difficult. Many condo boards have outlawed VRBO and airBnb style rentals. And even though you might pay the owner, the board can shut off your access to the unit.

Beware of units that have on,y a few pictures vague addresses or tell you to stay away from the concierge.

Do you have the visa? Reading through it you need a fair bit of cash on hand and pre paid health insurance. It sounds great until you add up what’s needed.

https:/…

Reply to: What type of accommodation is available in Newmarket/Toronto
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Newmarket
Recent Conversations