We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest - Best Tents?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest - Best Tents?

Greetings!

I am planning on bringing about 5 guys up to the KW Oktoberfest for a Bachelor Party. You can probably imagine that we're looking for the tents that are the least family friendly :)

Any suggestions on the best/biggest tents, and what to expect? Also, any bachelor party-esque suggestions?

Thanks,

Brian

10 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest - Best Tents?

Hi ThamesLives,

Welcome to the KITCHENER TRAVEL FORUM

And to the BIGGEST Oktoberfest outside of Munich !!

Wikipedia – Oktoberfest (Kitchener-Waterloo) = …wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitchener-Waterloo_Oktob…

Originally Oktoberfest events were celebrated in the local “German Social Club” halls… and with the growth of Oktoberfest over the years… things have expanded greatly to events that are now held at the Halls, large Tents (with HUGE Capacities in the 1000s) and also other long-standing traditonal outdoor activities (like the Pancake Breakfast, Oktoberfest-Thanksgiving Parade, etc)

It has been awhile since I was in KW for “the fest”… but I do suggest that you take in a wide variety of activities and venues… as truly no two have the same feel vibe. Say a HUGE Tent Venue one night (ie Altes Muenchen Haus) good for some serious coiffing of pints… and then a more traditional German Club Hall on another afternoon or evening (ie Concordia Club)… the Clubs in my opinion have the best FOOD & ENTERTAINMENT.

Lol, gotta love that Polka !!

As for “family friendly”… unless an event is clearly marked FAMILY EVENT.. all the Halls & Tents are 19 Years and Older ONLY.

For more info on Oktoberfest see the official website = http://www.oktoberfest.ca/aboutus_index.php it is chocked full of great info, and that is how you purchase your Festhallen Tickets.

*NOTE – at this point in time, only some of the clubs have started to list their tickets… you might want to check with the KW Oktoberfest Tourism People, to find out when others will go on sale as well.

Cheers! / Prost !

Wine-4-2

PS… And do plan on using a Shuttle or Taxi Service when in town. Ontario has some pretty severe Laws when it comes to Drinking & Driving although .08 is the marker for a DUI… we also have a Warning Range that kicks in at .05 whereby the Police can immediately suspend your License for 3 Days at the road-side (and if I recall correctly they also confiscate your car) and charge a steep fine to get it back.

So skip that whole messy scenario and use other forms of transit.

Which also brings up a sometime sticky point about Canadian Law… you’ll want to be aware that here Drinking & Driving is a Criminal Offence. So just as Travellers with Criminal Records can’t visit the USA… it is the same for those coming to Canada.

You and your buds will want to make sure that everyone does indeed “qualify” for this Trip to Canada… so make sure they read over the following two documents… better to check things out ahead of time, than find out later that someone doesn’t qualify… and there are non-refundable reservations at stake !!

TA – CANADA – TRAVELLER ARTICLES

*Crossing the Border* = tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g153339-s602/Canada:Cr…

*DWI or DUI – Driving Convictions* = tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g153339-c49436/Canada:…

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest - Best Tents?

Ok,

I've got it narrowed down to Altes Muenchener tent vs the Bingeman's Kool Haus. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Brian

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest - Best Tents?

I did altes muenchen haus last year and had a blast! They cater to the college/university crowd; I didn't see many people over 35.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest - Best Tents?

Thanks, that's the direction I was leaning! (we're all about 32...just hanging on :)

Brian

Ontario
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest - Best Tents?

Are you staying overnight? The best place to stay that isn't too expensive but has nice rooms (recently renovated) is the Howard Johnson on Weber Street. No matter where you are staying, make sure you book in advance as every hotel gets booked up full!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest - Best Tents?

TO ONTARIOSENSIE,

Please note that your post above (Reply # 5) has been reported as INAPPROPRIATE on suspicion of ADVERTISING / SOLICITATION / SELF-PROMOTION... as it is my guess that you are affiliated with the Business that you recommend...

RE - Your other post in the KITCHENER FORUM

Everyone has access to your TA PROFILE and Posting History… and so a few quick clicks and we can learn a lot about you (very common practice for DEs when getting set to Answer a Question)

Your Posting History tells me that… you have both replied to a topic and created a topic in regards to the BEST PLACE to stay in Kitchener

A BIG RED FLAG here on TA...

As such, your Posts have been reported as INAPPROPRIATE in regards to the FORUMS POSTING GUIDELINES = tripadvisor.ca/help/what_are_the_guidelines_…

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

LFS
Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest - Best Tents?

Being from Kitchener-Waterloo and participated in many of an Oktoberfest, I would recommend Concordia Club. Problem there is that tickets have been sold out for months already. Depending when you go, you may be able to get tickets via Kijiji or the night of as people often buy groups of tickets in advance and then don't need them all. Concordia has the main hall, but also a very large tent holding I think close to 3,000 people. It is very difficult to get tickets for Concordai the first Friday or second Saturday of Oktoberfest but other nights, you may be able to find some.

Every Oktoberfest venue seems to attract a different group of people and I find the arena's being a younger university/college crowd and by the end of the night you are sliding across the floor as there is more beer on the floor than on the tables. The German clubs tend to more "authentic", but other than Concordia are smaller. Bingeman's I've always heard is a good party and large as well. There are over 20 fest halls so you have lots to choose from. I know, that's the hardest thing when you don't really know what to expect.

8. Re: Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest - Best Tents?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 October 2013, 01:05

Brantford
Destination Expert
for Varadero
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest - Best Tents?

I agree with LFS,in my experiences with Oktoberfest ,I find the Concordia club to be the best.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,959 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest - Best Tents?

Old post from 2011

Reply to: Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest - Best Tents?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted