We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thunderbay to kenora

massachusetts
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
thunderbay to kenora

We are a family of 4, includ. a 10 yr. old, & 6 yr. old driving at the end of August from Thunderbay to Kenora and then we would like to rent a houseboat for 3 days and then stay in some casual lodging (maybe a cottage?) for another 3 - probably still on the Lake in the Woods, but not necessarily.

Can anyone recommend a place to stay for one night 1/2 way between Thunderbay & Kenora? And any recommendations for the houseboat or other lodging?

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
593 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: thunderbay to kenora

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to stop half way between Thunder Bay and Kenora? It's only about a six hour drive. There's really not much out there.

massachusetts
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: thunderbay to kenora

Understandable question. We're not arriving into Thunder Bay until late in the day and won't be on the road until 6:00 p.m. at the earliest. We really don't want to then drive almost 7 hours in an area we've never been in before after traveling all day. 3-4 hrs. is really the most we want to do that night. (We don't want to lose the whole next day by waiting until then to get on the road - we already have plans in Kenora for the next day.) :)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: thunderbay to kenora

Hi Midlyadventurous,

Welcome to the KENORA TRAVEL FORUM.

As pointed out above by my colleague AUNTYMOWINNIPEG… there really isn’t anything much between Thunder Bay and Kenora… this is one of many examples where the TransCanada Hwy goes thru a relatively unpopulated part of the country… and how sometimes Canadian Cities can be long distances apart (up to 8 Hours). This is an excellent example of Northern Ontario wilderness.

The town of Igance is about half-way… population 1400. There really isn’t much there in the way of services… although there are a couple of non-chain Hotels… what are they like? No REVIEWS here on TripAdvisor… and not enough to make any judgement on the Internet as a whole… personal experience of driving thru the area, would make me very very wary of trying any such “seasonal” hotels.

Wikipedia - Ignace, ON = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignace,_Ontario

Most Travellers plan out their routing thru Northern Ontario to hit the major towns and cities for their overnights… Sault Ste Marie (pop 75,000) – Thunder Bay (pop 109,000) – Kenora (pop 15,000).

Suggest that you either looking longer in Thunder Bay… or driving on to Kenora… the inbetween stuff isn’t the best option… you might want to read this past post from 2008 one of the few here on TA that speaks of Ignace.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154979-i54-k170426…

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS… While we are on the topic of services… make sure you keep some gas in your tank all the time in Northern Ontario… gas stations also can be few and far apart.

PPS... Also you DO NOT want to drive this area late in the day (as the evening cool air moves in) sunset or dark... wildlife collisions happen all to often in Northern Ontario.

Edited: 10 May 2010, 14:08
massachusetts
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: thunderbay to kenora

Thank you for all of your advice, it is appreciated. Not sure what we'll do, but it will definitely be guided by your comments.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
593 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: thunderbay to kenora

just checked out accomodation in Ignace, which would indeed be half way, The two hotels with websites are the silverdollarinn.com and northwoodsmotorinn.com The Northwoods bills itself as "notorious"... not sure what they mean by that but it looks like it may have a bar attached which could be noisy if you're there on a weekend night. The pictures from both hotels make them look very basic - fine for one night while travelling. I don't think you'd be quite into hunting season at the end of August, so it shouldn't be too rowdy in town. Some of those small towns in the Canadian Shield cater to mainly hunters and fishers who are out for a "good time".

massachusetts
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: thunderbay to kenora

Thanks. I saw the Silver Dollar website but not the Northwoods. I also saw a cabin resort called Raleigh Lake Resort in Ignace. I also found 2 similar cabin resorts in Upsala - Thousand Lakes Resort & Thunderbird Resort. They are only 1/3 of the way instead of 1/2, but this might be a better idea considering the time of day. I just wish that I could find an objective source for reviews. Any thoughts?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: thunderbay to kenora

Hi Midlyadventurous,

Lol, well when it comes to "objective" TA is the industry leader... you could try GOOGLE with the name of the property and the word Review... BUT as the accommodations are more than likely seasonal, small, and most Travellers making a point to travel to the bigger city centres... then the liklihood of actually finding an assortment of Reviews (if any) is pretty slim.

Sorry, I don't have any better news.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS... If you have addresses, you might use GOOGLE MAPS to do a "drive by" in Street View (if indeed the locations have been photographed by GOOGLE). If it works at least it will give you a first-hand impression curb-side.

Edited: 11 May 2010, 14:10
Winnipeg
Level Contributor
593 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: thunderbay to kenora

I just spent some time "Googling" various small towns in that region and came up with the English River Inn. English River is about half way between Ignace and Upsala. You can either "google" hotels in English River or try :

…suite101.com/article.cfm/english_river_inn_…

It came up under the title: English River Inn Review: travelling the Trans Canada Highway. It sounds promising although certainly not luxurious.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
593 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: thunderbay to kenora

The problem with some of the resorts you are looking at is that they mainly cater to people staying for a week or more during the summer (some actually say minimum 3 or 4 nights). They're not really set up for one night visits as you'll see on some of the websites. I saw one that charged $55 per person per night, so that would put you over $200, if they would take you for just the one night.

massachusetts
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: thunderbay to kenora

AuntyMoWinnipeg,

My apologies, for some reason I didn't realize that you had posted more information. The English River may turn out to be the perfect suggestion, thank you very much! It was so nice of you to do more investigating for me. After our trip I'll let you know how it all turned out.

Thank you again.

Mildlyadventurous

Get answers to your questions about Kenora
Recent Conversations
More Kenora Topics