We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Lights

Bowmanville, Canada
2 posts
Northern Lights
Save

i am planning a trip in mid November and was wondering if Bancroft is far enough North to see the

Northern Lights

8 replies to this topic
Greater Toronto
Level Contributor
75 posts
46 reviews
43 helpful votes
1. Re: Northern Lights
Save

Probably not. Bancroft is not that far north and it's also very hilly. You'll need a clear view to the northern horizon. If the conditions are right anything's possible, but odds are against it.

Bowmanville, Canada
2 posts
2. Re: Northern Lights
Save

ok thank you

1 post
3. Re: Northern Lights
Save

I have seen them in apsley which is further south then bancroft about a dozen times in the last 6 years. Also I dont live there and only vist 5 to 6 times a year so I imagine they occur much more often.

West Grey, Canada
Level Contributor
95,402 posts
99 reviews
622 helpful votes
4. Re: Northern Lights
Save

Old post from 2014

2 posts
5. Re: Northern Lights
Save

My uncle told me that he was a boy he used to watch the Northern Lights from the front porch of his grandparents house in Bancroft... Just north of Faraday Lake. That was around 80 years ago now... Can you imagine what the night sky must have looked like back then?!

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
11,117 posts
33 reviews
82 helpful votes
6. Re: Northern Lights
Save

Dan O.

Welcome to Tripadvisor.

It’s always a good idea to check the dates on the thread BEFORE you comment. This post is very old. From 2014. With another response in 2016.

We call this necroposting. There is no need to resurrect such old threads.

2 posts
7. Re: Northern Lights
Save

: ) That's funny... I saw it was an old question... but it was a good one... and other people might be interested.

BTW, for those interested... https://www.gi.alaska.edu/monitors/aurora-forecast

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
16,626 posts
855 reviews
578 helpful votes
8. Re: Northern Lights
Save

Love how these old posts just pop up here and there!

Reply to: Northern Lights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bancroft
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.