We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WEATHER from Lake Louise to Revelstoke

PA
1 post
Save Topic
WEATHER from Lake Louise to Revelstoke

Does anyone know what the weather is like along Trans Canada HWY 1 between Lake Louise and Revelstoke? My family will be traveling on this route sometime within the next month or two, and I was just wondering what to expect. We were planning on traveling from the Columbia Icefields (in Banff/Jasper National Park) to Kelowna, BC during the day, and making several brief stops for sightseeing at all of the "best" attractions along the way. Most of all, we'd like to tour the towns, parks, etc. as well as any other major attractions, and maybe do a little bit of really low-key hiking in the mountainous areas. My understanding is that the Columbia Icefields are really cold while Kelowna is really hot, so I was just wondering what the weather is like along the route in between. My main concern is that I've heard it is really cold in the mountains at places like Rogers Pass, while it is pretty warm in towns like Revelstoke, even though the two are not very far apart.

Since we will be with 3 small children, I just wanted to plan ahead as far as what to wear during the trip, since we will try to visit as many places as possible along the way, and it seems that the weather fluctuates quite a lot. It certainly doesn't help that my older daughter is always hot and my other daughter is always cold...and they are both VERY picky regarding temperature! There are a couple of reasons why I'd like to avoid having to change clothes several times, so I was wondering if we could just dress "in between" and wear a jacket when it gets cold, for instance. Or, are the weather changes so extreme that we have to dress in layers for the cold areas, and keep taking them off whenever it gets warm? Also, I figure sneakers will be the best shoes to wear, but I just injured my ankle pretty badly, and it really hurts when any pressure is applied to it (I can actually walk pretty OK besides this)...So in case it doesn't heal by the time we travel, do you think I could get away with wearing my open back clogs along with socks, or are sneakers a must because of the amount of walking or the terrain? Finally, can anyone give me a list of the stops they would make (best places to visit) if they were doing this trip (Columbia Icefields to Kelowna) within a day? We'll be visiting Lake Louise and Banff separately so those are taken care of. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks so much :)

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
586 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WEATHER from Lake Louise to Revelstoke

A must for travellers to BC is the Drive BC site. It has updated road info as well as highway cameras set up at strategic locations. Remote weather stations provide accurate data as well.

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/weather/

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31,894 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WEATHER from Lake Louise to Revelstoke

So, your question isn't so much weather, but what to wear this time of year in that area? I can't speak to the east of the province so well, but it's been cold here on the coast this past week, although warmed up suddenly at the end of the week. This time of year it tends to bounce around a lot with a little bit of everything. I think you will still find the mountains are cold and icy. Sweaters, warm pants and jackets, hats and gloves.

Kelowna is hot in July, not so sure about April/May time. Mild yes, but hot? Not quite yet I don't think. You are very general about your time frame, but this is a very changeable time of year. The later you can leave it, the better. Things are still pretty cold in the mountains right in to June typically.

Edited: 13 April 2010, 13:50
Prince George...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WEATHER from Lake Louise to Revelstoke

I can second the previous poster. It's still rather cold up here in the mountains and there's still snow on the ground.

in addition to the DriveBC website, I'd recommend this webcam:

www.ama.ab.ca/road_report/camera/PC-LL-1.htm

It is the view of the main highway in Lake Louise and you can get some idea of the weather and snow coverage. Keep in mind that this is the major highway and will be more clear than any of the side-roads.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,671 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: WEATHER from Lake Louise to Revelstoke

"In the next month of two"... that puts your trip in April, May or possible June... in other words, spring-time. Spring-time in Canada, especially in the mountains, can include ALL kinds of weather - from hot and sunny to downright wintery. The higher up you are, the cooler it will be, compared to lower elevations. The glacial lakes of the Rockies - Lake Louise, Moraine Lake, Bow Lake, Peyto Lake etc. - are usually still ice-covered until sometime in the first week of June. Our standard advice to travellers about clothing, for all times of the year really, is "layers". That way you are always prepared.

Hiking at higher elevations, even into early June, can be "iffy" due to snow. It really depends on the weather, the elevation etc. - best to stop at any of the Parks Canada trail offices for up-to-date information on trail conditions and any wildlife issues.

5. Re: WEATHER from Lake Louise to Revelstoke

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2010, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about Rogers Pass