We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help about Ski Tourism packages in Rogers Pass

Level Contributor
10 posts
Help about Ski Tourism packages in Rogers Pass

Dear fellow Ski Touring enthusiast,

My name is Francesco Pizzolo, I am a very active 65 years old mounting climber and skier, and since 5 years ago, I am very happily practicing ski touring.

I live in Gosaldo, (Belluno), in a house that I built myself in the Dolomiti region of Italy, situated at 1050 meters on sea level.

It is located at 60 kilometers from Cortina, (Belluno), and 12 kilometers from Fiera di Primiero,(Trento),

At about 35 kilometers from my home, there is Gruppo Civetta, with 80 Kilometers of ski runs, across several valleys.

I would like very much to go to Canada, toward the end of March, 2012, and take the time to about the end of April, 2012, to make a tour around the area of Rogers Pass, and experience the ski touring in that region.

It would be my first trip to Canada, and I am looking for a fellow ski tourist enthusiast that would be able to share with me his or her experience and knowledge regarding ski touring in the area of Roger Pass.

I would be very happy to do this on exchange bases also, providing in turn, assistance in transportation, and food and lodging , for the person that would

plan to be coming to do similar tour in my area here in Italy, either during the winter, for skiing, or during the summer, for interesting and relaxing walks and visiting the local attraction, and partecipating on the local folkloristic celebration.

Please, if interested in sharing your interest or experience about Rogers Pass skiing vacation, write to: francesco.pizzolo@libero.it either in English or in Italian.

Thank you very much,

Francesco Pizzolo

9 replies to this topic
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,803 posts
213 reviews
1. Re: Help about Ski Tourism packages in Rogers Pass

To whet your appetite: http://www.glacierparklodge.ca/

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,817 posts
130 reviews
2. Re: Help about Ski Tourism packages in Rogers Pass

Alegre, I'm not sure about whetting anyone's appetite - read their reviews:

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g181774-d182079-…

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,803 posts
213 reviews
3. Re: Help about Ski Tourism packages in Rogers Pass

KRP, it's about the skiing and the OP is specific about being in Rogers Pass. What's your Rogers Pass recommendation?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
67,587 posts
65 reviews
4. Re: Help about Ski Tourism packages in Rogers Pass

Welcome to the forum, fishmonger ~

You will need to know that the area you are talking about is wilderness. Plenty of threat of avalanches and avalanche control, blizzards in March and April.

http://www.heathermountainlodge.com/

The above Lodge is open during the winter for heli skiing packages with Great Canadian Heliskiing. It's located at Golden about 30 km from Rogers Pass which would be convenient in good weather, with no weather forecast of snow storms or avalanches.

http://g.co/maps/qbrmc --- the two nearest towns would be Golden to the east and Revelstoke to the west.

You haven't actually asked a question, but I surmise from your post that you are looking for someone to act as a host for transport, food and lodging.

Trip Advisor seems to have a pretty good outline of accommodations near Roger's Pass - mainly the nearest towns of either Golden or Revelstoke - which is here:

tripadvisor.ca/AllLocations-g181774-c1-Hotel…

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,817 posts
130 reviews
5. Re: Help about Ski Tourism packages in Rogers Pass

Alegre, sounds like Francesco is trying to organize an informal exchange, and thus wouldn't be looking for hotel accommodation. If he were, I'd suggest staying in Revelstoke, if he is only going out on day trips.

He was also specific about wanting to go ski touring, not heli skiing. There are a number of guides offering commercial trips to backcountry huts; here are some that I found, doing a google search for "ski touring in the selkirks":

www.ontopmountaineering.com/sorcererlodge.php

www.ontopmountaineering.com/fairymeadows.php

www.selkirkexperience.com/ski_main.html

summitmountainguides.com/ski-touring/C10/

Heli-assisted ski touring (although I am not sure exactly where they offer their trips):

canadianmountainholidays.com/heli-skiing/tri…

Francesco, I don't think I've ever seen ski touring discussed on these forums; I'm thinking you need to find a more specific forum. Perhaps something like www.clubtread.com , which has a forum for mountaineering and backcountry skiing.

The other source of information and/or possible skiing companions is the Alpine Club of Canada; however, they don't appear to have a chapter in the Selkirks area. http://www.alpineclubofcanada.ca/index.html

Edited: 08 March 2012, 02:46
North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
22 posts
143 reviews
6. Re: Help about Ski Tourism packages in Rogers Pass

Sounds like maybe there needs to be something written about Things to Do for Rogers Pass? krp and Multimixmatch think there's a need for that? I'll take that on.

I know this is an old thread but the Glacier Park Lodge is now closed and likely won't be reopened.

I'll write something about how to get avalanche conditions and the advisory, the road conditions (the highway's often closed for avalanche control), web cams for the road, accommodations in Golden and Revelstoke, , Alpine Club of Canada huts in the area and some suggestions for area guidebooks. Tripadvisor's given a lot to me and I'll do it as a way to give back.

One question and maybe this isn't appropriate for a forum discussion. How do I get it listed as Things to Do for Rogers Pass so it'll pop up when Rogers Pass is typed into the search box?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
67,587 posts
65 reviews
7. Re: Help about Ski Tourism packages in Rogers Pass

Hi Lee ~

To get to the Things to Do on this forum, open the "More" button in the green menu bar, choose "Travel Guide." Look down the blue printing for "See more traveller Articles" and click through to this page: (larger forums require a couple of extra steps.)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g181774-s1/Rogers-Pas…

You'll see the Things to Do section and the "add a new topic" at the right. Give some thought to the title you will use. It will be more or less permanent so give it some thought.

Read these guidelines and be careful what commercial links you include. Accommodations can be found in the Forums for Golden and Revelstoke, so a link to those pages would do it. I think there needs to be a mention of at least 3 in an Article. Think about if what you want to write about needs to be split into more than one Article or not.

…custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/583

A Trav Article can be linked into the Top Questions to the right side of the page. krp, alegre or myself can do that linking. Just post here when you're ready. It's not easy for people to find the Trav Articles and a link can be quite helpful.

For examples of Trav Articles, click on any of the three of us on this forum, then to the left side, click on "travellers articles" to read as many as you like. Third person, passive voice is the key. Nothing I, we or you about them.

Thanks for the offer. There is a TA staff person who moderates the Travel Articles so you'll be in good hands.

Edited: 20 October 2013, 23:15
North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
22 posts
143 reviews
8. Re: Help about Ski Tourism packages in Rogers Pass

Thanks MMM - I'll give it a go. My thoughts are that now Revelstoke and Golden are two towns which support Rogers Pass so what you said about splitting it makes sense as there really isn't much at Rogers Pass yet many visitors go there in summer and in winter. What krp said about the avalanche conditions makes sense too and it seems it'd be best to provide the Parks Canada and official avalanche advisories for that which I'll do. Thanks again

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
67,587 posts
65 reviews
9. Re: Help about Ski Tourism packages in Rogers Pass

Just a note that the Revy forum has 95 topics, Golden has 67 topics and Rogers Pass has 7. Revy is by far the more "developed" town and the more "asked about" town on the BC forum. As RP is only about 45 min from Revelstoke, I would go so far as to suggest you post your article on the Revelstoke Forum.

Reply to: Help about Ski Tourism packages in Rogers Pass
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rogers Pass