We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving new years night from Vancouver B.C. to Calgary, AB

parksville
3 posts
Save Topic
driving new years night from Vancouver B.C. to Calgary, AB

hI, I'll be driving from vancouver to calgary overnight and was wondering if highway #3 (crowsnest pass) is the safest and easiest way to get through the mountains, I heard there was less snow and no toll booth. Is the no toll booth thing true? Please e-mail me tonight at cherry_pie_cutie@hotmail.com....thanx!!

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: driving new years night from Vancouver B.C. to Calgary, AB

Melissa --

The toll on the Coquihalla is $10.00 and the time/distance saved is enough to make it worthwhile. All the passes have their fair share of snow in winter, and I don't believe I would call Highway 3 the safest or the easiest way to get through the mountains of western BC.

The Coque cuts the drive time between Vancouver and Kamloops in half compared to the old days of the Hope- Princeton and the Fraser Canyon Highways.

So - drive Vancouver - Hope on the T-Can, Hope - Kamloops on the Yellowhead (#5) and then Kamloops - Calgary back on the T-Can. This time of year you are probably looking at 10 to 12 hours depending on the weather and the number of stops you make. Do not be in a hurry.

Do not allow your gas tank to go below the 1/2 level - if you're stuck waiting for an accident to be cleared or for the snowplow to come through, you want to be able to run your car to keep warm.

If you're stopped and keeping warm, get out of the car and make sure your exhaust pipe is cleared of snow, also your tail lights. The former so you don't die of carbon monoxide poisoning, the latter so that you don't get hit by somebody trying to skip to the head of the line. BTW, under those circumstances, I always leave my window open for the few minutes that I'm checking things so that I don't have to worry about getting accidentally locked out of my car. Take a snack and bottles of water as well as a blanket just in case you do get stopped. You'll be comfortable while you wait.

Watch the road reports, it's possible that there will be a chain requirement. That means that you have to carry chains. I have them in my car to comply with the road rules, but I don't use them, ever. If I get to a place where a Mountie has the road closed unless you mount your chains, I turn around and go back to the nearest motel and have a nap. You can do what you like.

Good luck.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving new years night from Vancouver B.C. to Calgary, AB

1BCTraveler gave you good advice.

>>>>>>I'll be driving from vancouver to calgary overnight<<<<<<

You could not pay me to do that.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,102 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving new years night from Vancouver B.C. to Calgary, AB

I drove from Hope to Princeton along Hwy 3 last summer in the dark. Not fun. In fact, I was quite nervous, and I'd never do it again. If you can save the drive for when it's light out.

parksville
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: driving new years night from Vancouver B.C. to Calgary, AB

Thank u very much for your reply, i have an 86 toyota camry, i heard that chains may not be needed or to use cables instead..is that true?

5. Re: driving new years night from Vancouver B.C. to Calgary, AB

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 00:24
Get answers to your questions about Rogers Pass