We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1-day ferry trips - Nootka Sound vs. Bamfield

Which Port Alberni hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
1-day ferry trips - Nootka Sound vs. Bamfield

I'll be starting in Victoria and visiting Campbell River/Hwy 28 to Gold River, and also driving Hwy 4 to Ucluelet for several days. I'm also considering adding one or two 1-day ferry trips. Between Gold River/Nootka Sound vs. Port Alberni/Bamfield, do you recommend one or the other, or both?

Thanks!

John G

6 replies to this topic
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,870 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1-day ferry trips - Nootka Sound vs. Bamfield

The Port Alberni-Bamfield vessel is also the Port Alberni-Ucluelet vessel so with some planning you can use the vessel to eliminate the drive on hiway 4. You can get between Ucluelet and Tofino by bus or taxi. See http://www.ladyrosemarine.com/ Or...why not simply hire a charter boat for a day in Port Alberni and go on day tour of Barkley Sound? It would be expensive, but fun.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1-day ferry trips - Nootka Sound vs. Bamfield

Based on your other posts about primitve beaches ect, I'd suggest the Nootka Sound trip. The run up Alberni Inlet is nice but I'd think it wouldn't be out of the way enough for you.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1-day ferry trips - Nootka Sound vs. Bamfield

Thanks for your creative suggestion about taking the ferry from Port Alberni all the way to Ucluelet. I would definitely consider doing that if I could bring my rental car on the ferry. I do want to keep my car with me throughout the trip so I can explore my surroundings, so I have to rule out this possibility. Thanks!

John G

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,870 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1-day ferry trips - Nootka Sound vs. Bamfield

Neither Nootka nor Bamfield is a car ferry. Consider this route from Duncan to Victoria by road www.sooke-portrenfrew.com/circle-route/ Put "Pacific Marine Circle Route" in youtube for a look.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1-day ferry trips - Nootka Sound vs. Bamfield

I see that one ferry from Gold River goes to Yuquot (Friendly Cove), while another ferry goes from Gold River to Tahsis. What can you tell me about those alternate destinations? Thanks!

John G

Port McNeill
Level Contributor
466 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 1-day ferry trips - Nootka Sound vs. Bamfield

The same boat , Uchuck lll, is used for all the runs. Looking at their schedule http://getwest.ca/get-schedules the Tahsis run is not offered during the summer. Even if it was offered the Yuquot run would be the one to choose from a sightseeing and first nations history point of view.

The Yuquot run is only offered on Mondays and Saturdays, I would choose the Saturday trip if as it gives you an extra hour on shore which should give you just enough time to check out one the beaches in addition to visiting the village.

Reply to: 1-day ferry trips - Nootka Sound vs. Bamfield
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted