We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorial Rodeo in late September?

Mississauga, Ontario
Level Contributor
30 posts
31 reviews
Memorial Rodeo in late September?

I'm from eastern Canada & will be in the Prairies in Sept - thinking the Brooks rodeo might be an interesting event. Any suggestions on what's the best time to be there etc? Good place to stay? All input would be appreciated.

5 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
8,252 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Memorial Rodeo in late September?

Unless you're a big rodeo fan, I'm not sure the Brooks Rodeo is reason enough for a trip out to Brooks. The area has some striking scenery, but Brooks itself is pretty underwhelming. More known for the big abattoir than anything else. Most folks are in the area to see Dinosaur Provincial Park and don't even stay in Brooks.

The rodeo lasts only two days, so you'd have to be in the area for one of those two days. Not much choice as to accommodation - a handful of chain hotels and two B&Bs: visitnewell.com/content-main.asp?CatID=8

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
20,263 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Memorial Rodeo in late September?

Brooks would be considered a small town rodeo. If you arrive 1 hour before you will be fine. There is no reason to stay in Brooks but we would need to know what else you are planning for your visit to the Prairies.

I can not find anything about the fall rodeo except on the Pro Rodeo schedule.

these are images for the one in June showing the rodeo grounds. https:/…

Edited: 02 March 2017, 13:25
Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
13,909 posts
152 reviews
3. Re: Memorial Rodeo in late September?

If you want to see a rodeo then have a look at the one in Hanna in late September. I think the Saturday Sept 23 event would offer the most.

I mention Hanna because you could easily stay in Drumheller and see the Tyrell Museum plus visit the Badlands including hoodoos and dinosaurs. A great part of Alberta for a visit.

http://www.hanna.ca/rodeo

Mississauga, Ontario
Level Contributor
30 posts
31 reviews
4. Re: Memorial Rodeo in late September?

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions! Much appreciated. I will also check out Hanna - I took a glance at it previously, as these were the only two that fit our schedule.

Turned out I know somebody from an other forum who actually lives near Brooks; she's not a rodeo fan due to it being so hard on the animals, but did comment that the "Little Britches" event the day prior to the official pro rodeo is rather fun.

Brooks, Canada
1 post
5. Re: Memorial Rodeo in late September?

There are a number of rodeos in and around Brooks. Kinsmen Pro Rodeo is June 9 and 10. Bassano rodeo is June 23-25 - I would double check that one. There is also one in Jenner and one in Buffalo, but I don't have those dates. The Labour Day weekend is the Patricia Rodeo with Chuckwagon and Chariot races. I hope this helps. You can check the CanadianBadlands website and visitnewell websites for more information.

thanks

Reply to: Memorial Rodeo in late September?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Brooks