We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinosaur Prov Park Public tours advice

Bromley, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Dinosaur Prov Park Public tours advice

Hello

We will be visiting Dinosaur Provincial Park at the end of May but the official guided tours are few and far between on these days. I would like some advice on which public tours to attempt (eg coulée viewpoint, badlands trail, cottonwood etc) or any other advice on where to visit to fill a day or two please?

Thank you

7 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
8,174 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Dinosaur Prov Park Public tours advice

Welcome!

Yes, the options for tours at the end of May are likely to be quite limited. Many tourist attractions don't start their summer season until the May long weekend (May 16-18 this year), and then have limited offerings until the end of June when kids are out of school.

It looks like there are four tours available, with a few having minimum age requirements. I think all would be worthwhile it just depends on your interests, fitness and budget. For adults, I think the sunset tour would be great, but only if the weather is good. Otherwise, the quarry hike seems the most likely to give you a chance to see/experience parts of the park you couldn't access on your own.

You can certainly self tour parts of the park, so doing a tour is not a necessity. Any of the trails mentioned would be worth doing. It does depend on the weather though - even in late May, it can be quite hot & dry at Dinosaur Provincial Park, plus you can get very strong afternoon/evening thundershowers. It can also be cool at night, but it's worth being prepared for hotter daytime temperatures than in more northerly/western parts of the province. As such, I strongly recommend starting your day early to avoid the hottest part of the days and be done by the time thunderstorms are most likely to occur.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
27,161 posts
94 reviews
2. Re: Dinosaur Prov Park Public tours advice

+1 to Ksned's advice. Dinosaur and the Brooks area are a great destination when Calgary and Banff are still too chilly in April and May. I've sweltered in the campground at Dinosaur on more than one May afternoon.

Bromley, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Dinosaur Prov Park Public tours advice

Thanks to you both for your advice especially about the weather changes. We've managed to book ourselves onto the Explorer Bus as it's the only tour running the few days we are there. I hope they don't cancel it due to lack of numbers though! Then we'll do all the public walks and take your advice about the weather. Thanks again.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
243 posts
387 reviews
4. Re: Dinosaur Prov Park Public tours advice

HedgeinKent, Do you have any feedback on the Explorer Bus tour? I'm debating between that or the Fossil Safari tour. I'm already booked for the Quarry Hike tour in the afternoon of the same day.

Bromley, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Dinosaur Prov Park Public tours advice

We went on the Explorers Bus Tour a few weeks back as it was the only tour running the week they opened. It was good as an introduction to the park but if you are already booked on another tour I think the scenery and info coul be the same. The tour took you beyond the public loop road up into the park and stopped about four times where the guide gave a talk on the different bones and a chance to take pictures and questions. It's very hot as its sheltered with no breeze and the bus has air con but not very effective so plenty of water, sun cream and a hat. It's well worth driving the public loop road also which is a couple of km and the stops off that are interesting and which we never passed a soul during the drive. Hope that helps and enjoy as its awesome scenery.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
243 posts
387 reviews
6. Re: Dinosaur Prov Park Public tours advice

Thanks so much, HedgeinKent. Very helpful information indeed! I was looking for information on if the Explorers Bus Tour offered something in addition to the public loop route and you clarified that :-) Thanks again!

Edited: 20 June 2015, 20:38
Bromley, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Dinosaur Prov Park Public tours advice

Happy to help. Enjoy!

Reply to: Dinosaur Prov Park Public tours advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Brooks