We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking in Parc national du Mont-Orford?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
472 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking in Parc national du Mont-Orford?

I'm starting a cycling trip from Quebec City to Waterloo, Ontario next week. I plan to cycle the Route Verte #1 between Quebec City and Montreal, which passes near Parc national du Mont-Orford. I want to take a day off cycling and go hiking in the park, so I'll be there around the end of August.

I've looked at the Sepaq site:

www.sepaq.com/pq/mor/index.dot?language_id=1

and a map they have of the park's hiking trails:

http://www.sepaq.com/dotAsset/13099.pdf

However, it's hard to really get an idea of what the nicer trails are. So I'm looking for suggestions of which trails to try. I'd be happy with one long trail (up to 8 hours total) or a few shorter ones - it doesn't matter to me. I just want so see some nice scenery - forest, mountains, lakes, waterfalls, wildlife - and play around with my new camera. I'm in excellent shape, so I can handle pretty much anything. I'm not sure yet where I'm going to be staying, but I plan to cycle to whatever trailhead(s) I start from.

Thanks,

Jason

Mentioned in this post
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Waterloo
Waterloo
Region of Waterloo, Canada
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Mont Orford
Mont Orford
221 Reviews
Orford, Canada
NDG
Level Contributor
313 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking in Parc national du Mont-Orford?

In my opinion, Pic de l'ours is probably the nicest mountain hike in the park for views. About 500 m elevation gain, probably about 4-5 hours round trip if you are in decent shape. Super view of Lac Stukely and by going to the actual summit (most people seem to stop on the ledge just before), you can also see over to Mont Orford and beyond. If you like you can hike the ridge to Mont Orford as well. Le Pekan trail to the Colline de la Serpentine has a really nice view of the pond in the park a little before the end of the trail, this is a much more moderate hike but is nice too. Mont Chauve is good too, with a view of the Mont Orford massif.

Edited: 20 August 2015, 20:34
Mentioned in this post
Mont Orford
Mont Orford
221 Reviews
Orford, Canada
Montreal
Level Contributor
222 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking in Parc national du Mont-Orford?

Hi there

2 thumbs up for Pic de l'ours, and if you feel it's not enough, continue on the ridge (sentier des cretes) to Mont Orford itself. Camping Stukley woulr be the closest one to the trail head, and you could put your feet on the beach after the hike.

Steph

Mentioned in this post
Mont Orford
Mont Orford
221 Reviews
Orford, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
472 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking in Parc national du Mont-Orford?

Okay, perfect. Thanks to both of you for your replies. I'll check out Pic de l'ours. Are there actually bears in the park? (I'm not worried, just curious - I've seen lots of bears in BC).

Jason

NDG
Level Contributor
313 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking in Parc national du Mont-Orford?

I don't know, I've visited the park probably 7 or 8 times and I have never seen one. Seen a few deer and I once saw a moose, which surprised me.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,494 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking in Parc national du Mont-Orford?

There are bears around here but very few. Unlikely that you'll see one. I have never seen one but saw my first big coyote close to my house yesterday.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
708 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking in Parc national du Mont-Orford?

Sentier du Ruisseau-des-Chênes is beautiful, 9,4 km in length (return) from route 112 (south of park) going up to Mt-Orford along the stream and its nice cascades, through a beech forest. Classified difficult, 385m elevation change. Has been restaured last year.

Mentioned in this post
Orford
Orford
Magog, Canada
7. Re: Hiking in Parc national du Mont-Orford?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2016, 14:17
Get answers to your questions about Magog