We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Little Qualicum Falls Provincial Park with toddler

Vancouver
Level Contributor
11 posts
18 reviews
Little Qualicum Falls Provincial Park with toddler

Hello,

I am visiting the Island from Vancouver. We have an action packed itinerary with a 2 year old. We will be coming from Nanaimo to Parksville and I was wondering if it is worth driving to Little Qualicum Falls Provincial Park with a toddler who can't hike much. Can you see the falls after a short walk (like Shannon Falls in Squamish) or is it a longer hike?

Thanks/

4 replies to this topic
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
28,114 posts
109 reviews
1. Re: Little Qualicum Falls Provincial Park with toddler

I think you will be fine with a 2 year old there. There are two loops for the hike, that make a figure 8. Stick to the lower loop, and you should be okay. There are two sets of falls. If you want to see the "best" one, go to the middle bridge, where the upper falls are located.

Watch your footing on the trails. Lots of tree stumps. It's a gorgeous walk!

You can combine the LQF stop with Coombs Country Market. Lots of fun there. And also, know that it is only another 5 minute drive from LQF to get to Cathedral Grove. Those trails will be easy for the toddler. Two loops, one on either side of the highway. The loop with the BIG tree is on the left side of the highway, as you are heading to Port Alberni. You must park on the right side of the highway. And cross the highway on foot carefully!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
11 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Little Qualicum Falls Provincial Park with toddler

Thanks so much for the advice definitely adding Coombs to the itinerary. We have to pick between Qualicum falls and englishman falls park. Which one would you recommend considering our toddler? Thanks.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
28,114 posts
109 reviews
3. Re: Little Qualicum Falls Provincial Park with toddler

I usually recommend LQF over Englishman River Falls, only because it is right on the highway, and easy to stop in there on the way to Tofino and Ukee. And I haven't been to Englishman River for a few years now.

But I think either one would work for you. If you are wanting to explore Cathedral Grove as well, then LQF is more convenient.

Kenora, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
943 reviews
4. Re: Little Qualicum Falls Provincial Park with toddler

I have recently been to both and think that LQF would be the easier option with a toddler. Just as J0an123 said, there are options, and the lower falls is very close to the parking, with a great view of the water. We'd hiked a up further, and can't say that there was anything more beautiful there than what we'd seen at the lower end. Don't miss Coombs, for sure! Cathedral Grove is awe inspiring! So much to do in this area, you will never fun out of fabulous options!

Reply to: Little Qualicum Falls Provincial Park with toddler
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Qualicum Beach
More Qualicum Beach Topics