We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile service @ Tremblant?

New England
1 post
Save Topic
Mobile service @ Tremblant?

Can anyone advise if there is service at Tremblant for US Verizon wireless?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Tremblant
Tremblant
1,672 Reviews
Mont Tremblant, Canada
Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,417 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile service @ Tremblant?

Short answer is "yes" but with a caveat. I also am a Verizon customer and can verify that your cell phone definitely will work at Tremblant.

However, unless you already have a Verizon plan that permits unlimited calls in the US and Canada, you will incur roaming charges. Cell phone calls in Tremblant are handled by a Canadian company that has a cooperation agreement with Verizon. Roaming charges add up quickly, so you may not wish to chat for hours on your cell phone while on vacation.

If you are wondering also about wireless internet access, many if not most of the condos and hotels at Tremblant (at least those in the resort itself) have free wireless internet, either in every unit or, at a minimum, somewhere in the building. Check first to be sure.

There also are desk top computers available (for a fee) at one of the coffee shops (Au Grain du Cafe) in the resort village and there are similar internet locations at the mini-cafeteria adjacent to the ski lifts (if it is still there) and in downtown St-Jovite.

Mentioned in this post
Tremblant
Tremblant
1,672 Reviews
Mont Tremblant, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,318 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile service @ Tremblant?

Ditto everything Tyler said. There is a code that you can put into your phone just before you cross the border which makes it easier to find your phone. I forget the number but call verizon as ask. At least that was what I was told. Also, you will be charged for emails/texts received so if you (or your kids) have that on your phone, you may want to disable it. However, the reception was better than many places in NH or VT.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile service @ Tremblant?

Yes Tyler is correct. Actually what I recommend to people coming here if they need to use a cell phone is to buy a Vigin phone at Walmart when they cross the boarder for $9. Yes $9. You can buy $20 of time for a few hundred minutes. Saves you money in the long run.

And yes you will get his with serious roaming charges if you don't have an North America plan

Massachusetts
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile service @ Tremblant?

neslaw1 says, "you will be charged for emails/texts received." I'm hoping this depends on your Verizon plan. We are on the "Nationwide Select Family Share Primary 1400" plan which includes unlimited texting for all 4 of our lines.

I called Verizon customer service and was told while in Canada we'd pay $0.69 a minute for voice calls within Canada and to/from the U.S. He also said we would continue to enjoy free, unlimited texting.

But I didn't get a feeling of confidence from the guy I spoke to. Can anyone confirm if we will have unlimited texting while visiting Mont Tremblant next week? Sure would be handy for keeping in touch as we and our teens occasionally go our separate ways.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Mont Tremblant
Mont Tremblant
Quebec, Canada
Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobile service @ Tremblant?

I think you should be fine with texting, but be on the safe side of things and try to keep it down to a min.

You might not be charged for texting, but you will be charged a roaming fee while you are texting and sending the message. This I'm pretty sure of.

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,417 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mobile service @ Tremblant?

I also have Verizon and, 6 weeks ago, discovered that they have a plan that lets you add service in Canada for a very low rate. It includes both voice and text. My son is on my plan with his own cell number and the total cost for the 2 of us is only $20 per month. Best of all, you can switch back and forth at will, so you wouldn't need to pay for the Canadian option once you no longer need it.

Best advice is to stop by your Verizon store and discuss it with them.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mobile service @ Tremblant?

Hey Tyler do they charge a roaming fee for US customers that buy the Canadian plan on a temp basis?

The reason why I ask is because I used to have a phone from the states I purchased the added Canada package on (used when I was going back and forth through treatments at the VA hospital. I still got charged roaming fees pretty bad up here in Canada with that added plan.

So that is a question I would be asking people at Verizon. I hope they have changed that.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,417 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mobile service @ Tremblant?

JB-

That is exactly the plan that I bought. I haven't had my first bill yet under the new program, but it is not supposed to have any roaming charges in Canada or the US. If roaming charges show up, I am going to be a very unhappy camper.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
9. Re: Mobile service @ Tremblant?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2010, 01:17