We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nova Scotia shelling

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
93 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Nova Scotia shelling

Is there a particular beach or area that is good for shell collecting?

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nova Scotia shelling

Hi sfm "

I've always found coastal Bay of Fundy "finds " very interesting.

I'm sure FundyGirl can recommend a few area's for you when she checks back in. From Digby towards Yarmouth you'll be travelling along the St. Mary's Bay Region, and with that there is Mavillette Beach, Smugglers Cove Provincial Park and many smaller beaches all through there that have a good selection of shells. I've always found so on my travels. Marine life fossils are popular there as they are in the County of Kings in Cape Breton.

If nothing else do drop by Mavillette, it's one of my favorites and I'm sure you would appreciate it's beauty.

Good collecting on Queens County beaches if you plan to stop at any of those on your way to Lunenburg, far too many to list and more often than not, white sand, gorgeous beaches there.

Carter's Beach for example is known to have the largest sand dollars around. I have quite a few from there.

No good beach collecting on any beach I know from Lunenburg to Peggy's Cove unfortunatly, odd rocks and seaglass but that's about it.

Nevertheless, you'll see lovely area searching.

regards,

blondie **

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
93 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nova Scotia shelling

Thanks, Blondie.

I LOVE TripAdvisor & these forums!

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,633 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Nova Scotia shelling

Blondie

You know you can't touch those rocks. if everyone took one, there would be none left.

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nova Scotia shelling

Hi ,

I haven't seen a lot of shells on the beaches on the upper end of the Bay of Fundy. Of course it might be that I'm so busy looking at the different rocks that I've missed the shells!

When you visit Hall's Harbour, check out the beach on the opposite side of the harbour from the restaurant, you might find something there. Also, if you have the time visit the beach at Scots Bay. Continue on Rte 358 from the Lookoff. I've occassionly seen some shells there, however most people go there for the unique colored stones.

You must be counting the days to the start of your vacation.

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
93 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nova Scotia shelling

Counting the days is exactly what I am doing! I am also creating a loose-leaf notebook of all the tips, restaurants, directions & suggested roads to take that I have seen here. Loose leaf - because it is constantly changing! I already know 4 days will be too brief. But the ferry is just 2.5 hours from my house - and while not cheap (w/car), it is convenient enough to encourage frequent visits.

I love the coast & ocean. It is spirit-renewing. I am fortunate enough to live where I can be on the ocean in little over an hour.

To travel to a place where you are all about the sea, is my idea of a great time.

And re shelling: I have no plan to pick your beautiful beaches clean. I have enough *stuff* in my house already! I just like to look and touch. Although a worn piece of seaglass if found, just might make it back to central New Hampshire. :)

6. Re: Nova Scotia shelling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 06:19