We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gryphons Lairs...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
480 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Gryphons Lairs...

does any one know if they serve a buffet on mother's/father's day? heard the buffets are good but the reviews on them say other wise..any info please...

6 replies to this topic
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,768 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gryphons Lairs...

I'm not sure what the odds are that you'll get any response from forum posters who are familiar with that restaurant. I noted that most of the reviews are not from "one of" reviewers, so that would give me some certainty that they are not "planted" reviews, by either friends & family of the restaurant managment (if the reviews were favourable) or by competitors (if negative). You can also click on the reviewers' usernames to get more information about them (if provided) and to read their other reviews, to further "get a feel" for whether their preferences and tastes are similar to your own.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,324 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gryphons Lairs...

According to the bar graph for the reviews of that place, 10 of 17, or about 60% consider it poor or terrible. I would be looking somewhere else.

Like Page Point Bistro that serves brunch:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g182188-d7…

As you are in handy Vancouver, I would phone them to see what they offer for Father's Day, and to find out what foods are included in their brunch. Would it be continental breakfast style or would they have hot foods as well. If you like the sound of it make a reservation, ASAP for Mother's Day.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
480 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gryphons Lairs...

thanks for the responses..I also was looking at the poor review and some were old (before renos) but mother-in-law was requesting we go there and I'm not so sure..based on your responses it's a big fat "not"..actually she's in Lk Cowichan so any suggestions for a buffet breakfast out that way for mother's day? cheers and thanks in advance

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,324 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gryphons Lairs...

You'd better drive half an hour into Duncan. More choice there. Have a look at this one.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g154929-d7…

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,211 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gryphons Lairs...

Have meant to stop in several different times to check out the restaurant but do have to admit, after reading the TA reviews I would be a bit hesitant to do so.

If everyone in your party is of legal age, I would very strongly and wholeheartedly recommend the Crow and Gate Pub. This truly must be one of BC's best pubs. Food is fantastic. Setting is gorgeous. Staff friendly and cheerful and the beer selection is excellent. We've been countless times and will continue to do so.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,324 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gryphons Lairs...

I enjoyed Crow and Gate very much too. Nice garden setting outside the actual pub building, up near Nanaimo. I just wonder if they do brunch so I didn't mention it. They have pub fare and open at 11 am. It's worth considering.

http://www.crowandgate.com/menu.html

Reply to: Gryphons Lairs...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ladysmith
Recent Conversations