We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fishing in July

colorado
1 post
Save Topic
fishing in July

I am interested in taking my family on a Canadian fishing trip this July. Interseted in boat rentals, guides, etc.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fishing in July

Hello Herman,

Unfortunately I cannot help you out when it comes to information on fishing. I hope someone else will come along and provide you with information.

In the meantime, however, Slave Lake's tourism website may be of some assistance, if you haven't found it already:

http://biglakecountrytourism.com/

Edmonton
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: fishing in July

HI Herman,

Fishing in Slave lake is amazing, most campgrounds have a marina or boat rentals they range from about $80 to $200 /day depending on size of boat and resort you are at.

When fishing you want to stay around the 7 - 10 ft depth and you should be pulling fish in almost every cast, or everytime you drop your line in.

Spruce Point Campground and rv resort is amazing sites 35, 33a, and b, and almost any site in between 23 - 35 are gourgeous.

The entire left side of the resort is lakefront camping with a little wind barrier of trees, your basicly camping on the beach, water is very high this year so their isn't as large a beach as usual, don;t let this deter you as the usual beach around the entire left side of the campground is usualy about 150 yards of beach before the water now were looking at 30 - 40 yards.

Their is land that jets out to a point on the other side of the marina where you can fish from shore, and using spoons you can get jack and walley with every 3rd or 4th cast.

I was their last weekend its still amazing even with the water so high.

This weekend I'm heading back and looking at Shaw's point resort as Spruce point was all booked up, it's a little further as it's on the north west side of the lake so it adds about an hour to my drive time from edmonton but the lake is well worth it, in most spots you cannot see the other side so it feels like your in the ocean, all beaches are amazing sand and the water floor is all sand for the most part and goes on for close to 200 meters and still not over your head their are some dips but then another sand bar comes out of nowhere it truly is an amazing place and the water is clear as can be.

I have only been twice before both times to Spruce Poit and this will be my 3rd time and first to Shaw's point.

It is so amazing that as soon as I got back from last weekend i was on the net looking for lakefront property to buy... it is impossible to find, I had no luck but will be watching for anything to come up, most of the lake front is either, provincial park, reserve land, or protected area's ... very difficult to find anything to purchase.

I hope this helps

Cheer's

Alberta
Level Contributor
61 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fishing in July

We live along Lesser Slave Lake (no, Drinks on the Beach, our place is not for sale!) and yes, the fishing is great here.

If you contact Big Lakes Country Tourism or Travel Alberta North, you can also find several good wilderness guides in the area who rent boats and equipment, and help you plan trips if that's what you're looking for. If you're camping, a lot of places up here take reservations, so you'll want to look into booking something in advance.

Just to note, Shaw's Point campground is near the town of Joussard I believe, and Spruce Point is at Kinuso, which is about 40 minutes west of the town of Slave Lake.

Alberta
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: fishing in July

A little bit of a correction. Shaw's Point is near Grouard, the west side of Slave Lake. Shaw's Point has the best beach because it is private land and they groom it daily. They have a big marina and boat rentals. The resort is big and very crowded, they cram the trailers in. So if a bunch of people are ok with you then Shaw's Point is beautiful. Hilliard's Bay is next door to Shaw's Point. It is a provincial campground with very nice campsites and very quiet. They don't have ammenities like Shaw's Point but the showers are nice, there is a boat launch, and you are not staring at your neighbour's trailer.

slave lake
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: fishing in July

I realize this may be coming nearly 4 years too late, but the Sawridge Inn and Conference Centre Slave Lake offers a Guided Lake Fishing Package. The Guide is a local and the Package includes 2 nights accomodation, full hot hearty breakfasts both mornings, a great bagged lunch, dinner vouchers on your day of fishing, 8 hours of guided fishing on a large pontoon boat all tackle, bait and transportation to and from the boat launch provided. You can visit their website www.sawridgeslavelake.com or call 1.888.729.7343 for more information, ask for the front desk manager.

I would recommend it.

6. Re: fishing in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 00:24
Get answers to your questions about Slave Lake
Recent Conversations