We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

QDL ticket on east bank trains operated by Vias

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8,134 posts
8 reviews
4 helpful votes
QDL ticket on east bank trains operated by Vias
Save

I think I have indirectly found the answer to this, but to be safe I felt it best to ask for direct confirmation.

On a QDL ticket (or other ticket that is limited to regional services), are the trains shown as VIAS on bahn.de included? I was confused because it expressly says RE, RB and IRE. My interest is between Sankt Goarshausen and Koblenz.

Thanks.

5 replies to this topic
Greeley, Colorado
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
733 reviews
217 helpful votes
1. Re: QDL ticket on east bank trains operated by Vias
Save

Yes, the trains are included, but the QDL ticket is overkill. Is S.G. to Koblenz your only train ride that day ?

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
7,915 posts
28 reviews
31 helpful votes
2. Re: QDL ticket on east bank trains operated by Vias
Save

Yes. But if you travel only between St. G'hausen and Koblenz, the VRM mini-group day pass covers 2-5 persons for EUR 22.10, EUR 18.60 for one-person day pass - and it covers you to points south and north as well. Buy it at a ticket machine at the station. The light-green VRM zone on this map shows the coverage area:

http://www.vrminfo.de/fileadmin/data/pdf/2016/Schienenliniennetzplan_2016.pdf

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8,134 posts
8 reviews
4 helpful votes
3. Re: QDL ticket on east bank trains operated by Vias
Save

Thanks. And sorry for being less specific. This is a 1 day trip from and back to Köln. Regarding the mini-group pass, does the validity extend to Bonn (as it does for the R-P ticket)?

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
7,915 posts
28 reviews
31 helpful votes
4. Re: QDL ticket on east bank trains operated by Vias
Save

"...does the validity extend to Bonn (as it does for the R-P ticket)?"

No. As the map indicates, to Rolandseck on the left bank and Erpel on the right.

"This is a 1 day trip from and back to Köln."

It would be a bit of a shame to travel only as far south as St. Goar/St. Goarshausen. It's the part south of there to Bingen/Rüdesheim that is extra-scenic. The VRM won't get you that far south. So you could possibly go with the regional-trains-only option with the Rheinland-Pfalz ticket (which does cover Bonn to R'heim/Bingen) + a VRS fare for Cologne-Bonn-Cologne. But there are also Germany-wide day passes for regional trains:

Sat or Sun, travel at any hour: https://www.bahn.com/en/view/offers/regional/weekend-ticket-for-germany.shtml?dbkanal_007=L04_S02_D002_KIN0060_NAVIGATION-LINKS-SWT_LZ01

Weekdays, travel after 9 am: https://www.bahn.com/en/view/offers/regional/day-ticket-for-germany.shtml?dbkanal_007=L04_S02_D002_KIN0060_NAVIGATION-LINKS-QDL_LZ01

There are also saver fare options that include high-speed trains. They can be bought for any hour of your choosing and can be had for €19 each way for some departures. But you must travel on the specific high-speed trains you book at the time of purchase.

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

It's unclear what your specific destinations and plans for the day might be - share the details if you require more assistance; there are ways to play with the saver fare bookings and to build in some flexible travel segmentss by regional train.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8,134 posts
8 reviews
4 helpful votes
5. Re: QDL ticket on east bank trains operated by Vias
Save

Thank you again Russ! We are indeed planning to go as far south as Bingen or, if time does not permit, at least Bacharach. We would like to spend at least a short span on a boat rather than the train (unless we get bad luck weather wise), and would like to spend a couple of hours in perhaps 2 towns along the way. I think we want to keep this an outdoor day (rather than going inside castles).

What I had come up, based on reading previous posts on here, was essentially what you are suggesting: either QDL at 52€ for 2 people, or the R-P ticket for 2 at 29€ plus 4 tickets at 7.80€ between Köln and Bonn (total 60.20€). The main advantage of the latter seems to be that we could set out before 9AM, and the main advantage of the former (other than a small price difference) is the convenience of the single ticket.

So within that framework, any and all ideas will be appreciated, including places to stop, which segment to take the boat (the timings make it a bit complicated) and whether it is worth switching banks of the river for a part of the trip. (And anything I have not thought of, including other saver fare strategies you mention)

Edited: 4 years ago
Reply to: QDL ticket on east bank trains operated by Vias
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sankt Goarshausen
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.