We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Hardy to Prince Rupert Ferry

Which Port Hardy hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
Port Hardy to Prince Rupert Ferry

Plan to take Port Hardy to Prince Rupert Ferry September 2011

Could please have advice on

Days of week ferry departs

Depart time Port Hardy

Arrival time Prince Rupert

Regards Bob

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
7,901 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Hardy to Prince Rupert Ferry

http://www.bcferries.com/

Brisbane
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Hardy to Prince Rupert Ferry

Thanks

BC Ferries website dont seem to have the infomation

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
7,901 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Hardy to Prince Rupert Ferry

Rather presumptuous of you to expect someone to provide you the info which is in plain sight on the BC Ferries page.

It's a BC Ferry ship-the info is all there you just don't know how to find it-try and try again.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
53,997 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port Hardy to Prince Rupert Ferry

Click on and open the "schedule" and then look on the right side list of routes. It should say Port Hardy - Prince Rupert/Inside Passage. Once you've opened that page, you will see Fall/Winter/ Spring Overnight Service and also Spring/Summer Day Cruise. You will need to choose the correct schedule according to your September date.

How many times have I looked for my glasses to find them on top of my head!! lol The schedule is really worded for locals I think, who know the area names, and not so easy for visitors. Hope this helps.

Edited: 23 November 2010, 20:36
Port McNeill
Level Contributor
456 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Port Hardy to Prince Rupert Ferry

The summer schedule for this run is not yet on the BC Ferries website, neither is the summer schedules for the Discovery Coast or Haida Gwaii.

I called BC Ferries in October to ask them and they said they often post it about 6 months in advance of the first run in the schedule (late May or early June). So you can expect it to be on-line in the next few weeks. Last year this schedule was posted on-line sometime in November if I remember right.

The page you want to keep checking is bcferries.com/schedules/…ip-current.html

It departs Port Hardy every second day early in the morning (I thin you need to get there for 5:00 in the morning to load) and arrives in Prince Rupert late at night (I think 11:00)

Edited: 23 November 2010, 23:15
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
53,997 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Port Hardy to Prince Rupert Ferry

Thank you KK. Of course it's too early for the schedule for Sept/11. How silly do I feel!! No wonder the info can't be found. Any time soon, perhaps 1 December.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Port Hardy to Prince Rupert Ferry

When the ferry schedule does come up, you can book the date you want. You should also book a hotel in Port Hardy the night before leaving and a hotel in Prince Rupert for the night of arrival. As mentioned - the schedule for "next season" often isn't posted this early.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
296 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Port Hardy to Prince Rupert Ferry

I had the same issue last year, I was trying to book in Nov. as we were travelling on a very tight schedule and wasn't sure about availability, but they were only taking bookings up to February. I emailed them (bc ferries) and was advised to submit a reservation request which they then held until my dates opened. They then advised me that my booking request was now available. Good service.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,153 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Port Hardy to Prince Rupert Ferry

When we took the ferry several years ago on the summer schedule, it left Port Hardy about 7:00 AM, hence the advice in post 7 to book in Port Hardy the night before. As I recall, they asked us to be at the dock for loading at 5:30 AM.

It was scheduled to arrive in Prince Rupert at about 10:30 PM. Again, hence the advice in post 7 to book in Prince Rupert for the night you arrive. (However, they had engine problems and we did not arrive until about 1:00 AM.)

At that time, the ferry went on alternate days going north and south (e.g., Day 1 from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert, Day 2 from Prince Rupert to Port Hardy, etc., etc).

Hope this will give you a sense of the trip until the 2011 summer schedule comes out. It is gorgeous and well worth doing.

Edited: 29 November 2010, 12:35
Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Port Hardy to Prince Rupert Ferry

Bob

the Prince Rupert tourism office will have a good sense of the schedule for next year, either based on last year's schedule, (and) or advanced intel from BC Ferries. tourismprincerupert.com I'd suggest sending them an e-mail with your question. (Although I'm having problems getting onto their web page - hopefully they get that sorted out.)

In 2009, BC Ferries floated the idea of running a ferry from Tsawwassen (south of Vancouver) to Prince Rupert ever 2 weeks beginning in 2011, reducing the number of sailings between Prince Rupert and Port Hardy as the same ferry would be used for the Tsawwassen to Prince Rupert run. cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/11…

The tourism folks in Rupert should know by now if this is going ahead.