We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waterton Park vs Banff/Jasper

Level Contributor
24 posts
Waterton Park vs Banff/Jasper

Hi All,

Need your help. I am visiting Banff/Jasper from Sept 29 through Oct 8. I could spare a day to do one day day trip from Calgary to Waterton Park or I could spend an extra night at Banff/Jasper instead. Would you be able to help me make a decision on what would be a better choice?

I prepared a tentative itinerary which would look something like this:

29-Sep Friday airport>>Cochrane Cochrane Arrival

30-Sep Saturday Cochrane>>Banff Canmore Bow Falls, Banff Gandola, Sulfur Mountain, 2 Jack Lake (optional: Minniwanka Lake)

1-Oct Sunday Canmore>>Banff Canmore Lake Louise, Moraine Lake, Moraine Lake Trail (Canoe/Kayak)

2-Oct Monday Banff>>Jasper Jasper Peyto Lake (30 mins), Columbian Icefield (2-3 hours), Tanglecreek Falls, Sunwapta Falls, Athabasca Falls)

3-Oct Tuesday Jasper Jasper Pyramid Lake, Patricia Lake, Jasper Skytram, Malign Canyon

4-Oct Wed Jasper Jasper Medicine Lake, Malign Lake

5-Oct Thur Jasper>>Emerald Lake Lake Louise Emerald Lake, Takakkaw Falls, Natural Bridge

6-Oct Friday Emld Lake>>Calgary Calgary Grassy Lakes Hike (2.5 hour), Johnson Canyon (lower/upper falls 5 hours)

7-Oct Saturday Calgary>>Waterton Waterton Waterton Park/Lake

8-Oct Sunday Waterton>>Cal Airport Return Return

10 replies to this topic
Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
10,104 posts
324 reviews
1. Re: Waterton Park vs Banff/Jasper

Waterton Parks are currently on evacuation alert due to wildfires in the area. This is a situation that is not likely to resolve itself quickly so it would not be a good idea to consider a trip to the area in the immediate future. Also, be sure to check out the thread "fire/smoke/air quality - all info in one place" https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154910…

to get all the latest information regarding forest fires in Banff and surrounds.

Level Contributor
24 posts
2. Re: Waterton Park vs Banff/Jasper

Thank you so much for your feedback. In that case I might just consider extending my stay at banff or jasper. Thank you!

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
10,104 posts
324 reviews
3. Re: Waterton Park vs Banff/Jasper

There's certainly lots to do in the Banff/Jasper area that could easily keep you busy. You could also check other postings in the forum to see what others are doing that might appeal - lots of good ideas.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,164 posts
94 reviews
4. Re: Waterton Park vs Banff/Jasper

You could also consider a day trip to Kananaskis Country for a change in scenery. This area of mountains SE of Banff and Canmore has hikes, lakes, waterfalls, mountains, and Canada's highest driveable pass. It also has limited services, so gas up and get a packed lunch before taking Hwy 40 (Kananaskis Trail) south from Hwy 1.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
32,736 posts
62 reviews
5. Re: Waterton Park vs Banff/Jasper

Drumheller is an easy add on to a Rockies trip and a reasonable destination when you only have one night. Provides wonderful contrast to the mountains.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
8,259 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Waterton Park vs Banff/Jasper

Waterton is being evacuated. I would not count on making plans there anytime soon.

British Columbia...
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
5,459 posts
94 reviews
7. Re: Waterton Park vs Banff/Jasper

Waterton evac is now mandatory so consider it closed for the season.

Waunakee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
8. Re: Waterton Park vs Banff/Jasper

How did your trip go? We are thinking of a very similar one in early September.

Dennis

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,950 posts
123 reviews
9. Re: Waterton Park vs Banff/Jasper

The OP didn’t go to Waterton, because it was on evacuation alert.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
20,290 posts
112 reviews
10. Re: Waterton Park vs Banff/Jasper

your best bet is to send a pm to the OP rather than resurrect a yr old posting.

Reply to: Waterton Park vs Banff/Jasper
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Waterton Lakes...