We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights 1 full day- where to base ourselves for MV visit?

Ireland
Level Contributor
151 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
2 nights 1 full day- where to base ourselves for MV visit?

Hi all

I would be grateful for your advice on the following;

We are family of 4, mam and dad mid 30's and 2 teenage girls. We would like somewhere with a pool that is within walking distance of a main street for food/pub in evening. Our budget would be about $200 per night.

We will arrive in Cape Cod on a Saturday afternoon (traffic permitting from western Maine) and depart early on the Monday morning for NYC. I was looking at booking somewhere in Eastham, however as we want to take the ferry to Martha's Vineyard I am wondering if this is practical. As we only have one full day half of which will probably be spent on MV are we better off based in Falmouth or Hyannis (access to Ferry)? I had hoped to visit Provincetown and possible get a few hrs beach time but didn't realise how big the Cape was :(

Thanks

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nights 1 full day- where to base ourselves for MV visit?

You are fighting summer traffic on a saturday and the real reason for the visit to CC is to visit MV. Here is my suggestion. Stay near Plymouth. Enjoy the afternoon there on saturday. It should not be a bad drive to the ferry on Sunday in Woods hole. Don't worry about which ferry cause they run all day long and the last one leaves MV pretty late so you will get your full day. Return to Plymouth and now you don't have to fight CC traffic getting off the Cape as you already are. Then you can head to NYC on Monday.

Forget about Provincetown and seeing anything else, there is not time. If it is a nice day, maybe you can take a swim while on MV. The beaches are close to both ferry landings. I don't keep track of hotel prices, but they should be less than the Cape. Go to the TA lodging page and you can do that research.

If that doesn't suit you then I would consider Falmouth- not Hyannis due to extra time to get there and much higher ferry costs.

Ireland
Level Contributor
151 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nights 1 full day- where to base ourselves for MV visit?

Many thanks, I was just looking at Plymouth!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,298 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nights 1 full day- where to base ourselves for MV visit?

You didn't say what month you will be there but if you mention going to the beach so, if it is in summer, you could have a hard time finding a one night stay on the Cape and especially just for Sat night.

If you stay in Plymouth try to take a bit of time to tour the Mayflower in the harbor and another poster recommended a nearby restaurant names Issac's but I have never been there.

The Cape is unique in the US. Is there anyway that you could adjust your schedule to visit three nights and three days?

Ireland
Level Contributor
151 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nights 1 full day- where to base ourselves for MV visit?

We are there for 2 nights we arrive sat n leave Monday and sorry we visit in august. I can't change itinerary now wish I could as didn't realize how big the cape was. Had not initially planned on visiting cape cod so didn't research it properly.

I would like to stay in Falmouth but as neslaw1 pointed out Plymouth would prob be sensible choice considering we r driving onto NYC

Thanks for reply

conn
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 nights 1 full day- where to base ourselves for MV visit?

Try beach areas in Rhode Island, it's on the way to NYC, you can find a hotel along I-95 West of Providence RI. Beaches are an hour or less.

Edited: 06 March 2012, 17:02
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 nights 1 full day- where to base ourselves for MV visit?

ddaveps suggestion is a longer ride from Maine and puts you further away from the cape for a day trip to MV. Doesn't make sense for what you want to do.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,298 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 nights 1 full day- where to base ourselves for MV visit?

Well, they say that when you get the sand in your shoes from Cape Cod then you will be back. At least you'll get a small sample so that is great.

Mackinac Island...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 nights 1 full day- where to base ourselves for MV visit?

I vote for Falmouth. Not sure where in "Western Maine" you are driving from, but by the time you get to either the Sagamore or Bourne Bridge on Saturday afternoon (anytime after 1-2 p.m.), most of the traffic is already gone (tho. you may hit traffic through Boston and Rt. 3/South Shore to the Cape from 9 a.m.-12 p.m.) From the bridges, you are only 30 min.or less from Falmouth. Falmouth has great beaches within minutes from wherever you are staying. So you can quickly get to a beach and relax after you check in. And restaurants and shops are also all minutes away to enjoy the evening of your first night. Obviously, it's convenient to take the ferry from Woods Hole to Martha's Vineyard the next day (make reservations!), and you can plan to still be back late afternoon to go to the beach again, if you choose. Sounds like you would like to do a little relaxing :)

Plymouth is OK, but if you want to experience Cape Cod, it's worth the extra 45 minute drive to Falmouth, which is where you'd have to go, anyway, to get the MV Ferry and everything you are looking for is in Falmouth.

Boston...
Level Contributor
938 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 nights 1 full day- where to base ourselves for MV visit?

I would suggest Falmouth too, it has lots of shops & stuff to walk around. Also, in order to take the ferry to MV(Vineyard Haven or Oakbluffs), you got to park in their Steamship authority parking lot in Falmouth and take the shuttle.

If you pick a hotel near the shuttle lot - you can just walk to the shuttle than pay for the parking.

10. Re: 2 nights 1 full day- where to base ourselves for MV visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 08:43
Get answers to your questions about Cape Cod