We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape cod in November?

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cape cod in November?

I was hoping someone local to Cape-Cod could lend a little advice. I'm travelling from the UK to Boston in November. I've visited before and will be spedning another 4 days in the lovely city. I have a further 4 days before I need to head back to the UK and was thinking of getting a boat to Cape Cod (if they're still running) and spending a quiet few days looking around. I don't drive so I would need to rely of public transportation. Is this a feasible idea at this time of year? I understand the weather will be cold.

I have four days to visit somewhere (I'm travelling alone) and I'd rather see somewhere well and at a slow pace rather have a whistlestop tour. Thank you in advance, any ideas would be most welcome...

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,905 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cape cod in November?

For future reference, even during summer Cape Cod really needs a car unless you are happy to just explore Provincetown (which is fun in its own quirky way, but doesn't provide the full Cape Cod experience).

Visiting Martha's Vineyard is reasonable without a car (for future reference, not for a November recommendation)

Portland is a good suggestion, but there's only a limited number of things to do and see in November, without a car. 4 days may end up feeling a bit too quiet and a bit too long.

For a totally different idea for November, you could take Amtrak or a bus to NYC. You definitely don't need a car there!

Have you considered flying to a different part of the country? 4 days is enough time to jet off somewhere and back. Check out airfares. Sometimes they can be very low between certain regions.

boston
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Cape cod in November?

How about a bus ride, and stay right in ptown, don't really need a car there

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,578 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Cape cod in November?

Andy_H1979, for future reference--since it sounds like you visit Boston semi-regularly--you should watch the following thread (and/or OP):

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g185492-i369-k5816…

The OP promises to post again and explain how she managed for 19 days on Cape Cod without a car. Her visit was in the summer, but she may offer some information that will be helpful for you in the future--wouldn't want you to miss out on the turnips! ;-)

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,775 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Cape cod in November?

There's a festival for everything on the Cape Yellowbird. When is the turnip festival? lol

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Cape cod in November?

Again thanks for all the tips!

As noticed, I go to Boston semi regularly, yearly for a conference (though not last year), and after the conference i book a few days annual leave and go to NYC. I've been a few US cities and enjoyed them all (LV, SF, LA). When i watch TV i see such beautiful countryside in the US and I seem to only have ever flown over it viewing it from the air.

In central London where I live it's easier to live without a car than with one so I've never learnt to drive. This is a real problem trying to see these green spots in the US, perhaps it's time to bite the bullet and get myself that license.

For my few days off I fancy a fairly quiet time, venturing out in the morning walking around exploring (I'm a keen walker), reading a book for the second half of the day in a warm coffee shop and then finding a nice place to eat in the evening. I'll take a look at flights as Christnp2 suggested and I'll watch that forum post too given by Route128North. The turnip festival, whilst it sounds like fun, and I enjoy a good turnip as much as anyone can, I'm not sure it will occupy me for 4 days! =)

I appreciate all your input, thank you very much for help!

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,214 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Cape cod in November?

Charlie, the festival is Nov. 19 this year. It's a bit of a local lark....meant to underscore the rural nature of the place.

As you have already surmised, my suggestion to come to the cape to try the Eastham turnips was a bit tongue-in-cheek. Four days of turnips is more than anyone could handle!

Orleans, which is the largest year-round town on the lower cape has a great coffee shop called the Hot Chocolate Sparrow...perfect for an afternoon of reading. In a different season I would say that you could walk around from Eastham to Orleans using the Rail Trail bike trail, which also provides nice walking access to the National Seashore. But alas, the weather in November can be variable and I would not want to count on walking too far.

Cohasset...
Level Contributor
270 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Cape cod in November?

If you are looking for a quiet place to relax near Boston you could try Hull Ma.

There is a ferry that runs from Boston, Also look up Nankasket Beach Resort. I think that they have a shuttle service that you can use to get around.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,297 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Cape cod in November?

Portland sounds perfect for your plans. It is a huge foodie town with lots of restaurants and coffeehouses. The commuter ferry can take you to one of the nearby islands for walks.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,578 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Cape cod in November?

Andy_H1979, the person who spent 3 weeks on Cape Cod without a car has reported back with lots of details. Here's a link to her post:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g185492-i369-k5856…

This no doubt works better in the summer than November, but it's worth a look when considering future post-conference travel.

20. Re: Cape cod in November?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 15:18