We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anglo Cypriot Duel nationality

london
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Anglo Cypriot Duel nationality

HELP....

Both parents were born in Cyprus and came to England in the 50’s. I was born in London in June 1960, so as far as I understand it I can claim duel nationality / citizenship.

Having all relevant documentation to hand I went to the Cypriot embassy in London to make my application, only to be given a form to sign that stated that I would lose my British Nationality immediately after my registration as a citizen of the republic of Cyprus.

This is to do with the fact that I was born before August 16 1960, as I couldn’t get a satisfactory answer as to the reason why I would lose my British nationality and therefore not have duel nationality, I left.

Question, why is this so, and what do I have to do to get duel nationality / citizenship without losing my British nationality ?

I allso own a house in Larnaka, have a bank account in Cyprus and speak the language.

Thanks, Andy.

6 replies to this topic
Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
4,158 posts
119 reviews
1. Re: Anglo Cypriot Duel nationality

Question is what has this to do with air travel?

Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
19,693 posts
61 reviews
2. Re: Anglo Cypriot Duel nationality

Hi. You are on the travel website Trip Advisor. This is not an embassy and we are all just members of TA like yourself. Why are you asking these questions on this site please?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
3. Re: Anglo Cypriot Duel nationality

Might have something to with Cypriot independence day and the precise independence agreement, but as others have said - this is an air travel forum. No one here has an answer for you, but also equally if that is what the Cypriot government is telling you, chances are no one here will be able to give you an answer that will actually change your situation.

Edited: 19 October 2018, 11:27
Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,683 posts
447 reviews
4. Re: Anglo Cypriot Duel nationality

Google throws up https:/…cyprus.html

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,626 posts
80 reviews
5. Re: Anglo Cypriot Duel nationality

nothing to do with air travel, or any travel for that fact !

but it looks as if you can either be british OR cyprian. so which do you want?

might i guess that this is something to do with brexit........

Edited: 14 November 2018, 06:15
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,626 posts
80 reviews
6. Re: Anglo Cypriot Duel nationality

nothing to do with air travel, or any travel for that fact !

but it looks as if you can either be british OR cyprian. so which do you want?

Reply to: Anglo Cypriot Duel nationality
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted