We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
53 posts
12 reviews
Parking

We are arriving in Chester by train in May and had planned to spend 2 nights in central Chester before picking up a rental car and travelling into Wales. I've now discovered the rental car companies are closed on Sundays, so we will have to pick our car up early afternoon on Saturday. That leaves us with a car to park overnight before we leave. I had really wanted to stay somewhere within walking distance of the station and the centre of town, thinking we would'nt have a car. So now things have changed and I'm not sure what the best option would be. It's just bad timing that our dates fall on a weekend, but they can't be changed. I haven't booked a rental car yet. Any suggestions please?

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,315 posts
441 reviews
1. Re: Parking

Here are some parking options and costs. It doesn't look like parking for PM Saturday to AM Sunday will break the bank? Hope this helps. visitchester.com/dbimgs/…20Map.pdf

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
5,799 posts
69 reviews
2. Re: Parking

If you haven't booked your accommodation yet try to book a place with parking.

Parking in central Chester like all cities can be difficult and expensive.

There are plenty of good small hotels and bed and breakfast places on the approach roads into Chester that have parking spaces

You can either walk into Chester , it's fairly level or jump on the bus for convenience.

Enjoy Wales

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
5,799 posts
69 reviews
3. Re: Parking

Another option

If you are staying near the train station, and depending on where you intend to stay in Wales.

For example , train to Llandudno from Chester , stay overnight on the Sunday, enjoy Llandudno , you won't need a car and then rent the car on the Monday at Llandudno and head off elsewhere.

Anglesey ?

Edited: 01 January 2017, 04:27
UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
4,076 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Parking

Two good ideas already. There are b&bs on Hoole Road, which is a ten minute walk to the centre, with parking. There are even several overlooking the river which have some parking available.

Alternatively, at the city end of Hoole Road there is a car park near the Royal Mail sorting office which is less than £5 for 24 hours.

England
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
1 review
5. Re: Parking

Queen hotel situated next to the station, is nice and has parking (chargeable). Do you have a budget in mind for your hotel ?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,526 posts
183 reviews
6. Re: Parking

Queen Hotel couldn't be closer to the station. Mill Hotel also has parking. Parking is a bit of a nightmare in Chester, it was built before cars came onto the scene.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,526 posts
183 reviews
7. Re: Parking

Also, your dates in May won't coincide with the Races will it??

England
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
1 review
8. Re: Parking

Valid point by Penny.....races dates are 10th,11th & 12th, then another meeting 27th.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
5,799 posts
69 reviews
9. Re: Parking

If the Races are on , then try and go

Chester Racecourse is a gem and if it's sunny it's a great day out

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
53 posts
12 reviews
10. Re: Parking

Thanks for all your replies. We will be there 19th & 20th May so miss the races. I'm suprised how many places are already booked this far out. After more research I have now gone ahead and booked the Coach House Inn, which doesn't have it's own parking but does have a parking building behind it that will be handy and is free from 3pm to 7am. Certainly any cost won't amount to much so I'm happy with that.

Next task is to find a decent rental car company that won't sting me with 'extras'!

Get answers to your questions about Chester
Recent Conversations