We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chester to Stratford upon Avon... can it be done by rail?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Chester to Stratford upon Avon... can it be done by rail?

I am going to be visiting Chester June 2017.

I am wondering if I would be able to stop at Stratford upon Avon on my way from Chester to London. The rail system seems much more complicated then my rail travels of the '80s and 90's.

Im being to believe it would be easier to travel to London then do a day trip to Stratford.

If any one has ideas or experience to share I would appreicate hearing from you!

Regards,

Mentioned in this post
Chester
Chester
Cheshire, UK
Stratford-upon-Avon
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire, UK
London
London
England, UK
Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
18,713 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chester to Stratford upon Avon... can it be done by rail?

Not advisable.

Why do you want to visit Stratford upon Avon? Do you have an interest in Shakespeare?

Have you checked the train times on www.nationalrail.co.uk ?

Mentioned in this post
Stratford-upon-Avon
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire, UK
London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
23,062 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chester to Stratford upon Avon... can it be done by rail?

The journey from Chester to Stratford upon Avon is no different to how it was in the 1980s & 1990s as none of the rail lines have closed.

You can use the National Rail journey planner to find out how to do the journey.

But Stratford upon Avon is not on the way from Chester to London. And it wasn't in 1980 either.

Mentioned in this post
Chester
Chester
Cheshire, UK
Stratford-upon-Avon
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire, UK
London
London
England, UK
middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,625 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chester to Stratford upon Avon... can it be done by rail?

The rail journey from Chester to Stratford on Avon IS different from the 80s and 90s since many of the journeys involve a change at Smethwick Galton Bridge, which was not opened until 1995! Birmingham Snow Hill was only reopened in 1987. And I suppose it depends upon what you mean by "on the way", but it's certainly not an unreasonable way to do the journey and seems much more sensible than going via London. Can't think why anyone would say "not advisable" except that the journey from Smethwick to Stratford is a little tedious.

Mentioned in this post
Chester
Chester
Cheshire, UK
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
London
London
England, UK
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
7,107 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chester to Stratford upon Avon... can it be done by rail?

I'm not sure if you mean to stay in S u A for the night; if it is a day visit then be aware there is no luggage storage at the station, so you'd need an alternative if not travelling very light.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chester to Stratford upon Avon... can it be done by rail?

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

I've been there once back in the '80s but did Evans Evens day trip from London. Taking my Mother for her 75th and she has interest. We are visiting friends of her's in Chester. So I planned London/Liverpool/North Wales and thought of trying to stop there on the way back to London.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Chester
Chester
Cheshire, UK
Liverpool
Liverpool
Merseyside, UK
North Wales
North Wales
Wales, UK
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chester to Stratford upon Avon... can it be done by rail?

Hi, Thanks for your reply. Yes I checked that baggage situation out. Luckily those we are staying with in Chester will be meeting us again the following week and have offered to hold our non essentials until then.

Mentioned in this post
Chester
Chester
Cheshire, UK
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chester to Stratford upon Avon... can it be done by rail?

Hi, Thanks for your reply! Food for thought certainly

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chester to Stratford upon Avon... can it be done by rail?

Hi, Thanks for your reply. Yes I noticed this.

My thought was that if the route was more direct (meaning 1 or 2 station changes) I consider that a possibility.

As of now I am thinking to return to London and doing the coach day tour which will include Warwick & the Cotswolds.

Holiday planning get intense at my house :)

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Warwick
Warwick
Warwickshire, UK
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,082 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chester to Stratford upon Avon... can it be done by rail?

There is nothing o fear about changing trains. Some stations are easier than others, but if you have a look at the options available I;m sure there will be plenty of people here able and willing to help you get the easiest or most convenient journey.

You'll have more freedom and flexibility to do what you want if you do it yourself.

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
747 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chester to Stratford upon Avon... can it be done by rail?

If you're planning to visit for interest reasons for you and your mum, then I'd say it's definitely doable. But it will not be the quickest/easiest journey.

The journey by train from Chester to S.U.Avon is approx 3hrs with at least one change (the time and changes alter depending on the time you're travelling...)

There are direct trains from Marylbone station in London though, which takes around the same time (2.5hrs). So you could always consider that as a trip option? However, 5 hours + on a train seems a long time for a day trip...

It all depends on your travel plans - hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Chester
Chester
Cheshire, UK
London
London
England, UK