We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chester to Stratford upon Avon... can it be done by rail?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Chester to Stratford upon Avon... can it be done by rail?

I am going to be visiting Chester June 2017.

I am wondering if I would be able to stop at Stratford upon Avon on my way from Chester to London. The rail system seems much more complicated then my rail travels of the '80s and 90's.

Im being to believe it would be easier to travel to London then do a day trip to Stratford.

If any one has ideas or experience to share I would appreicate hearing from you!

Regards,

Mentioned in this post
Chester
Chester
Cheshire, UK
Stratford-upon-Avon
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire, UK
London
London
England, UK
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,478 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Chester to Stratford upon Avon... can it be done by rail?

The Chester to London service is excellent, it takes 2hrs 3 mins and you stay on the same train. To me it would make better sense to do that, then use the super Chiltern service out of Marylebone as mentioned above to get to Stratford, or do the coach trip. Otherwise you are using slower trains and changing trains quite a bit. Doable but a bit of a pain. I regularly do day trips from Chester to London so as long as you have plenty to read a 2 hour train journey is no problem at all.

Mentioned in this post
Chester
Chester
Cheshire, UK
London
London
England, UK
Marylebone
Marylebone
136 Reviews
London, UK
middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,625 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Chester to Stratford upon Avon... can it be done by rail?

Changing trains quite a bit? Twice at the most and Smethwick Galton Bridge is quite easy, just get on the correct lift! Personally, I still think it is a bit odd to go via London.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,050 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Chester to Stratford upon Avon... can it be done by rail?

I think it's both odd and pointless to do Chester to Stratford upon Avon via London.

Mentioned in this post
Chester
Chester
Cheshire, UK
Stratford-upon-Avon
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire, UK
London
London
England, UK
14. Re: Chester to Stratford upon Avon... can it be done by rail?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2018, 00:16