We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EuropCar in Chester Downtown (Bumpers Lane)

Ridgewood, New...
Level Contributor
121 posts
54 reviews
EuropCar in Chester Downtown (Bumpers Lane)

We will need to return our rental car to the EuropCar location on Bumpers Lane in Chester and then take a train at the Chester Train station back to London. Will we need to arrange a taxi service in advance between EuropCar and the train station, or are there taxis available in that part of town? This will be on a Monday morning in the summer.

Thanks!

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
6,939 posts
80 reviews
1. Re: EuropCar in Chester Downtown (Bumpers Lane)

There are no taxis in Bumpers Lane - it's more of an industrial estate (no taxi ranks.) I would just ask the person you deal with at EuropCar to call you one. I'm sure they will oblige..

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
2. Re: EuropCar in Chester Downtown (Bumpers Lane)

Yes just ask them to get a taxi for you. (Also "downtown" means nothing here).

Ridgewood, New...
Level Contributor
121 posts
54 reviews
3. Re: EuropCar in Chester Downtown (Bumpers Lane)

Thank you for the info! I'll be sure to get there in plenty of time before our train departure. It looks like trains run back to London hourly but buying a ticket in advance is still necessary? I can't believe how much more money a flexible ticket costs.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
4,075 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: EuropCar in Chester Downtown (Bumpers Lane)

Yes, Bumpers Lane is a mile or so outside the city centre on the opposite side of town from the railway station.

As has been said, just ask the car hire people to phone for a taxi for you

Definitely book the train in advance.. Choose a time you know you can definitely make as Advance tickets must be used on the train specified. It is a question of cost rather than whether there will be seats on the train that make Advance tickets so attractive If you arrive early there are cafes at the station and a pub and good hotel bar just across the road if you fancy something alcoholic to drink

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
578 posts
298 reviews
5. Re: EuropCar in Chester Downtown (Bumpers Lane)

It should take 5-10 mins max in a taxi to the station from Bumpers Lane but you never know what Chester traffic is like from one day to the next. Even though it's only a small town, it can get gridlocked at peak times but if you are looking at mid morning it should be fine (unless there are any roadworks around!).

Always cheaper to book your train ticket in advance. Will cost you a fortune if you buy on the day. Check out the National Rail website.

Aim for off peak times for the lowest price. 'Anytime' tickets are usually dearer than specific time train tickets but the risk is that if you miss that booked time your ticket is not transferable and you need to pay again. So either ensure plenty of time to catch your train or buy an 'anytime' ticket.

Edited: 02 March 2017, 18:07
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,526 posts
183 reviews
6. Re: EuropCar in Chester Downtown (Bumpers Lane)

trains that go direct to London go at 35 minutes past the hour. The first off peak one is 9.35, but that one and the 10.35 are usually very busy and not particularly cheap. The 11.35 train is very civilised in my experience.. they take 2 hours and 3 minutes to get to Euston station.

Ridgewood, New...
Level Contributor
121 posts
54 reviews
7. Re: EuropCar in Chester Downtown (Bumpers Lane)

Thanks Penny! We are aiming to take the 12:35 train to London Euston and sounds like we should buy our tickets in advance and go for the specific rather than flexible option to save some money.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,526 posts
183 reviews
8. Re: EuropCar in Chester Downtown (Bumpers Lane)

Yes, you can buy online and pick up tickets from the machines in the station. I use trainline.com, it is a very user friendly website, actually, Virgin trains issue tickets to your smartphone saving even to use the machines now, just make sure you are charged up! You can charge your phone on the train, particularly if you specify a table seat with power close at hand. There is the Virgin site too, but I don't find it so clear.

Chester
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
99 reviews
9. Re: EuropCar in Chester Downtown (Bumpers Lane)

Hi,

we always use KingKabs and they are in Bridge st. 01244 343434 if you want to make a note of the number as backup.

Ridgewood, New...
Level Contributor
121 posts
54 reviews
10. Re: EuropCar in Chester Downtown (Bumpers Lane)

Great info- thank you so much for sharing these tips!!

Get answers to your questions about Chester
Recent Conversations