We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pubs worth visiting

Chester, England
4 posts
1 review
Pubs worth visiting

Of course, it's all down to personal preference, but if you're looking for quality pubs, serving good food and real ales in a grown-up environment, then there are a few in the city centre that are really worth visiting. On the corner of Albion St and Park St, The Albion always offers 2 or 3 real ales on draft and serves generous helpings of very good quality, traditional British food. They don't do burgers or chips (they make a point of it!) and no kids are allowed, which is just fine by me. The Old Harkers Arms on the corner of Canal Side and Russel St achieves that rare quality of being able to blend a huge selection of quality real ales, beers and wines with excellent food, without losing it's identity as a lively pub for a more discerning clientele. It's not the cheapest pub about, but it is a strong contender for being the best. Outdoor eating/drinking is a rarity in the city centre, so its setting overlooking the canal basin on Raymond St is a big plus for Telfords Warehouse. Like Harkers, it's got a great selection of beers and real ales and decent food as well, served in an upstairs restaurant or, less formally, in the bar itself. But it's also a night out. There's a darkened dance floor and frequent live music. As a result, there's sometimes an entrance fee, but that shouldn't be a problem if you what to see whoever's on. It's a bit studenty, perhaps, with the college being close by, but generally there's a good mix across all age groups which makes for a nice, upbeat atmosphere.

bloomfield, nj
5 posts
1. Re: Pubs worth visiting

im glad to read your post its informative and i kinda have more questions to ask about other than the pubs. one is do you live in england and do you find the cost of living expensive? i want to know because i'd like to move there and need some basic facts. The pubs sound interesting and the whole night life sounds exciting but whats it like during the day? is a yankee like me gonna get lost in 5 mins or take 5 years to find my way from the airport? please don't think im crazy but i just wanna find my own life in another place and england sounds great to me so please reply back, thanks!

Get answers to your questions about Chester
Recent Conversations