We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a G P S necessary?

Meadow Lands...
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
202 reviews
Is a G P S necessary?

We have arranged for the tiniest rental car possible for our week in Penzance and we have the big 2017 AA Road Atlas. My question is do we need to hire a GPS/ sat nav to get around? TIA

16 replies to this topic
Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
2,759 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: Is a G P S necessary?

No you don’t need a Sat Nav to get around providing you can read a map confidently. A Sat Nav can sometimes take you down those tiny windy roads when there is a better route.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,720 posts
220 reviews
2. Re: Is a G P S necessary?

I agree with Kernewes.

Our own Satnav is pretty reliable but often tries to lead us down inaccessible roads. Friends' Satnavs are even more wilful and we generally advise them to set the journey in stages to avoid being directed to inappropriate ferries or down hazardous lanes. Without an element of human input I think you might be better served using a detailed paper map and a second human map reader.

Good luck!

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,646 posts
84 reviews
3. Re: Is a G P S necessary?

I think you will do better without a satnav provided you can read a map for all the reasons above.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,542 posts
376 reviews
4. Re: Is a G P S necessary?

I travel extensively around Cornwall and know my way around well, but on occasions when I use my sat nav to find obscure places, I am amazed at some of the roads/tracks it tries to send me down, which I know to be unsuitable or most certainly not the easiest route. So I agree with the other comments, a decent map and ability to read it will serve you well.

england
Level Contributor
6,758 posts
132 reviews
5. Re: Is a G P S necessary?

probably not. A map is actually better most of the time as it allows you to opt for main roads rather than the narrow lanes. My wife runs the free ap navmii on a tablet.and that is useful in cities or when you have to use lanes and the signposts have all gone missing - the AA map can be a bit too large scale then. I'm told navmii will also run on phones. You download the maps when you have free wifi as they can be a bit slow to download. The ap will often say "navmii has stopped" when loading, you just close it down and start again.

There are other free gps aps, that one was recommended for Costa Rica and we've used it ever since. It's a bit annoying at times but free.

k r
Weston-super-Mare...
Level Contributor
226 posts
732 reviews
6. Re: Is a G P S necessary?

I do not think you need Sat Nav to get around if you have a decent map.

We do quite a few trips a year to Devon and Cornwall and Mrs k r does the navigating, mostly using the excellent AZ Devon Cornwall and West Somerset visitors atlas and guide. We have seldom gone wrong and even when hunting down remote NT properties or beaches, where there is grass growing down the middle of the lane, we soon spot an identifiable landmark to find our way.

Also when using the map we sometimes become aware of other nearby locations or attractions that may be worth a visit, to me it is part of the fun.

Once on foot we us the AZ coast path books or OS Explorer maps to get about.

London
Level Contributor
3,406 posts
153 reviews
7. Re: Is a G P S necessary?

People managed perfectly well before SatNav, so,given that you can read a map, and that the map is up to date, you'll have no problem.

GPS is useful for pinpointing where you are if you get lost and do not have a good map or are not able to read a map properly.

Level Contributor
27 posts
15 reviews
8. Re: Is a G P S necessary?

In my opinion it is not necessary providing you're confident with reading maps. A lot of the major routes / attractions are also well sign posted.

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
277 reviews
9. Re: Is a G P S necessary?

I concur that a GPS isn't a necessity, and could even be a hindrance. I've alwyas found that a little local knowledge is still very useful when you have a satnav.

However, I'd recommend that you take a look at the Ordnance Survey (OS) 1:50000 map series. They're not cheap (at £8.99), but the best in the market. Sheet 203 covers Redruth and Helston and all places west to Land's End. They can be a little cumbersome, though, if you're not used to them as they unfold to about a metre square. You can usually fold them to the section you want though.

OS also provide a number of online maps and maps for mobiles these days too.

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/

Meadow Lands...
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
202 reviews
10. Re: Is a G P S necessary?

"AZ Devon Cornwall and West Somerset visitors atlas" has been ordered and darling husband is in an absolute ecstasy about OS maps. I am not a huge fan of satnav for all the reasons stated. Once again, thanks for such prompt and excellent advice. Very much appreciated.

Reply to: Is a G P S necessary?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted