We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips Out of Penzance

Fall River...
2 posts
Day Trips Out of Penzance

Hello, My father and I will be visiting Cornwall in August and are staying in Penzance. We are looking for information on day trips based out of Penzance or nearby (St. Ives). My father would especially like to visit Tintagel. The problem is that private tours are very expensive. We are more interested in small group or coach tours. Does anyone have suggestions for companies in the area? I've done web searches but haven't found much.

Thank you!

Marianne

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
93 reviews
1. Re: Day Trips Out of Penzance

Hi

Have a look at this link for a tour company in St Ives:-

http://www.oatestravel.co.uk/daytours.htm

There aren't any trips to Tintagel that I can see but there are lots of other interesting places like Minack.

If there are trips from roundabout where you are staying to Tintagel, I am sure someone on the forum will know.

Suzi

Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
974 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Day Trips Out of Penzance

Hello! Penzance is a great place and there are lots of good days out on your doorstep - Porthcurno for the Minack and the communications museum ("home of the Victorian Internet), Marazion for Michaels's Mount, stunning Coastal walks and beaches. You won't need a coach tour, you can just get on a local bus.

If you want to go further afield I heartily

recommend letting the train take the strain, traffic can be a bit much in August, and PZ has regular train connections eg to St Austell for the Eden Project, or to Bodmin for Lanhydrock (big stately home).

To answer your specific question, Oates do a range of day trips including Tintagel

http://www.oatestravel.co.uk/daytours.htm

Hope you have fun, whatever you decide.

St Ives, Cornwall
Level Contributor
109 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Day Trips Out of Penzance

Would definitely recommend Oates Travel - as above.

Just one thing to add - they are based in St Ives so all trips start there, but some of the trips to the west - Minack, Scillies etc. - stop for a pickup in Penzance. So would be worth contacted them to check.

Cornwall
Level Contributor
46 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Day Trips Out of Penzance

Though not a group or coach tour, I'd suggest you might have a day in Falmouth. The Number 2 bus operated by First, goes direct to Falmouth, and is usually a double decker. It's a long trip - about 1 hour 40 mins, but a lovely route through the countryside, taking in Marazion, Porthleven and Helston. I love the journey, that in itself feels like part of the day out, to me. There's plenty to look at in Falmouth - the shops, beaches and seafront, maritime museum, lovely places for lunch, too. The bus only runs every couple of hours, and the last one back to Penzance leaves Falmouth at 16:50, but you can be in Falmouth by around 9am if you're feeling like an early start!

Fall River...
2 posts
5. Re: Day Trips Out of Penzance

Thanks so much for all the excellent suggestions! Please keep them coming!

6. Re: Day Trips Out of Penzance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 18:17