We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air quality of Panzance and surrounding area.. bad chest..

Swansea, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Air quality of Panzance and surrounding area.. bad chest..

Hi, I have a bad chest and am planning an extended holiday somewhere near Penzance where the air is fresh and clean.

I'm interested in visiting the south west coast.

Can you tell me what the air quality of Penzance and nearby is like. Does the traffic build up much pollution throughout the day?

And are there any industrial works nearby, like steel works or oil refineries or any other type?

Does anyone know what is the worst industrial pollution near to you, so that I can avoid any place like this when I visit?

Any opinions on the area with the cleanest freshest for me to stay at?

I'm thinking of a small camping site near the coast and maybe 10 miles from Penzance?

Thanks,

NigeCornwallVisitor

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air quality of Panzance and surrounding area.. bad chest..

There's no real industry in Cornwall so no pollution. Penzance is a small town so no real traffic pollution either. Practically anywhere in Cornwall will suit you.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,663 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air quality of Panzance and surrounding area.. bad chest..

I don't know where you are getting the impression that Cornwall is some kind of industrial wasteland. Unless you are specifically going to look for a traffic jam to stand in, I am sure your lungs are safe :)

Go to the Scilly Isles if you want to be right in the wilds. There is nothing between St Agnes and America and I doubt you will be able to detect the traffic fumes of New York. Really wild.

Edited: 12 March 2015, 06:39
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Air quality of Panzance and surrounding area.. bad chest..

If you are living in Swansea it is extremely unlikely that Cornwall will have worse air quality

Swansea, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Air quality of Panzance and surrounding area.. bad chest..

Thanks for the replies.

Cornwall and Penzance look to me like a great area for me to visit with good clean air.

I don't get the impression that Cornwall is some kind of industrial wasteland, why do you think that? I've got it down as one of the best places for me to visit.

The Gower near me has very clean air but when the wind blows from Portt Talbot steel works direction the pollution comes over and the air is not so good on the days the wind comes from the SE. That's 10 miles away...

I'm just checking if there are any steel works,oil refineries or any other pollution in the area at all?

thanks,

NigeCornwallVisiteor

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,660 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air quality of Panzance and surrounding area.. bad chest..

As Cornwall is surrounded by the sea on three sides & it is not far from south to north coastlines it probably has some of the freshest air in mainland Britain. Certainly nothing down there to cause pollution, other than traffic & even that is pretty minimal most of the time in most places. Looking across the Bristol Channel towards South Wales from the West Country is perhaps the only time the people who live down in Devon & Cornwall see anything that might hint at poor air quantity. And with the dearth of the Welsh coal industry even then it is more likely mist than pollution.

Go & fill your lungs!

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air quality of Panzance and surrounding area.. bad chest..

I did answer your question in the first post! There is NO industry of the type you mention in Cornwall, in fact there's virtually no industry at all.

Swansea, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Air quality of Panzance and surrounding area.. bad chest..

Thanks all, that's good news :)

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air quality of Panzance and surrounding area.. bad chest..

Cornwall is nowhere near the Bristol Channel or South Wales,

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sidari
Level Contributor
3,579 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air quality of Panzance and surrounding area.. bad chest..

Hi NigeCornwallVisitor....and Welcome to the TA Forums.....

I am sure that you will find Cornwall's air quality absolutely fine. You say that you are staying on a campsite about 10 miles from Penzance - in which case you should find this fine......The only thing you may find occasionally are the interesting country smells of farming!

I live in the County and find the sea air and country air nice and bracing with no hint of pollution!

I hope you enjoy your stay in Cornwall...

Fi

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,660 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air quality of Panzance and surrounding area.. bad chest..

Well apologies for my bad wording. I did not say you can see Wales from Cornwall in fact. I was pointing out that people who travel to or from Cornwall through the West Country are only likely to see air pollution when they look across to South Wales on the way to/from the west from/to other parts of UK. There is so much sea surrounding so little land when they get to Cornwall that there is no source of pollution likely to reach the county & it does not produce any of it's own. I don't think I ever travelled to or from Cornwall without getting a look at the Bristol Channel or the Welsh coast, as there is no other way to get there if you want to travel by road from here up north!

Get answers to your questions about Penzance