We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry trip to the Isles of Scilly

Gloucester
Level Contributor
73 posts
188 reviews
Ferry trip to the Isles of Scilly

Am coming down to Penzance at the end of May (school holiday week) and am planning a day trip to the Isles of Scilly on the Scillonian ferry. How long before the ferry departs will I need to be in the harbour? Also, would it be advisable to book now just to make sure I get on that trip that week? Cheers Paul.

Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
2,678 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: Ferry trip to the Isles of Scilly

That week is one of the busiest on the Scillies. There are 2 sailings on each of the 2 Saturdays the first being at 6.30. The website says that boarding starts 1 hour before departure and closes 30 mins before departure but we have been there much earlier than that. You will need to book in advance. IMHO unless you go on the early boat it is not worth a day trip spending 5.5 hours on the boat for 3.5 hours ashore unless you love ferries and are a guaranteed good sailor whatever the weather. I will not go on the boat unless it is flat calm and Land's End Aerodrome is fog bound. However my family regularly goes on the boat without problem.

St Mary's, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Ferry trip to the Isles of Scilly

Hi Paul

If you'd like to book the ferry or the plane, you can fly from Newquay and Lands End for a day trip, or indeed to you can fly / sail for the day (Lands End option). Check out www.islesofscilly-travel.co.uk for travel details, including special family return tickets.

For ideas of what you can do in a day, check out the official Visit Isles of Scilly website via this link: visitislesofscilly.com/things-to-do/day-trip… You can also call the TIC for ideas - 01720 424031.

Please note, the above posting is right in that the May half term week does get busy, particularly the Saturday sailings. You would be wise to book in advance. To get a good seat on the boat, the earlier you arrive at Penzance Quay, the better. For secure parking whilst in Scilly, try this parking website - based in Penzance: http://www.scillyparking.co.uk/

Hope this helps and we look forward to welcoming you to the islands in May.

Carolyn Garman, Communications Manager, Visit Isles of Scilly (Islands' Partnership)

Gloucester
Level Contributor
73 posts
188 reviews
3. Re: Ferry trip to the Isles of Scilly

Thanks for the replies. I am actually staying in Penzance for 5 nights that week and, having been out on a boat trip off the choppy seas of Malta in May 2005 I am happy to spend more time on the boat than on the Isles of Scilly if need be. I believe that there is a boat that leaves Penzance about 9.15 a.m. in the mornings and gets to the Scilly Isles about midday and that the return journey is about 4.00 or 4.30 p.m. so would be happy to book that if possible.

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
4,002 posts
73 reviews
4. Re: Ferry trip to the Isles of Scilly

It would be nicer to stay the night, a few hours on land will be very rushed and you'll only see one place, really.... think about having one night there so you can explore and make the most of this magical place!

St. Andrews...
Level Contributor
152 posts
113 reviews
5. Re: Ferry trip to the Isles of Scilly

We just did the day trip for the second time, and are so wishing we had stayed overnight. 4 hours is just not enough, however better a little taste than not to go at all....

Magic, beautiful place.

england
Level Contributor
6,687 posts
129 reviews
6. Re: Ferry trip to the Isles of Scilly

all reasonable priced accommodation on the Scillies is already liked to be booked for that week, although there may be vacancies on some camp sites.

I agree an overnight is better but a day trip will whet your appetitie to return and take a boat to one of the off islands.

7. Re: Ferry trip to the Isles of Scilly

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2016, 01:15