We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lamorna Cove

Gloucester
Level Contributor
73 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
Lamorna Cove

Am writing to express my concern about the number of negative reviews on here about car parking. It seems clear to me that a lot of people are being put off going there because of this. I can perhaps understand that the owner of the restaurant needs their livelihood and would lose out if people parked their cars there and did not use the restaurant. I would therefore like to suggest even more now that buses run hourly to there from Penzance and Land's End rather than 2-hourly. Maybe if the car park attendant was removed then part of the car park could be taken over by the National Trust?

Mentioned in this post
Penzance
Penzance
Cornwall, UK
Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,613 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lamorna Cove

would you be prepared to give your back garden to the National Trust? Why should someone give part of their land to them?

It amazes me how people complain about spending a few pounds on car parking when you consider the small proportion of this as part of their holiday as a whole.

Edited: 11 April 2015, 17:01
Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
2,419 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lamorna Cove

Just a couple of thoughts on this: the number of buses has been cut due to the reduction In council subsidy following government cuts of funding to the council - already less than paid to urban councils. Also unless you are a NT member (at cost £x) you have to pay to park in their car parks. It would be interesting to know how many people actually use the service in question. I would doubt if increasing the frequency would increase the number of passengers and in the end it all comes down to money.

Finally, you should make representation to Cornwall Council as I doubt if anyone there reads Trip Advisor.

Mentioned in this post
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
shrewsbury
Level Contributor
157 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lamorna Cove

Lamorna cove is owned by the people who own the car park ,they have over the years been one of the worst offenders of ticketing people for no valid reason ,if people don't go too the cove due too adverse publicity ,well it so be it ,and if you do get a ticket for one of your wheels being on the White line or some such piffle ,just don't pay it

Mentioned in this post
Lamorna Cove
Lamorna Cove
379 Reviews
Lamorna, UK
Gloucester
Level Contributor
73 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lamorna Cove

How about this as a suggestion then. I really strongly believe that the best way to keep the peace there is for people to park there, buy a sandwich and a drink from the restaurant or café who claim to own the car park, show the owner their receipts, ask him if it is ok to leave their cars there, go off for a stroll along the coast path or a circular walk and when they go back use the café again for an afternoon tea or snack or something. Maybe politeness to the owner would go a long way. Other than that people visiting the area should consider leaving their cars at their accommodation and using public transport.

Penzance, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lamorna Cove

The owner would under no circumstances agree to you suggestions. (sightseercomrambler)He puts a ticket on your car whilst you turn your back and try to sort out change for the ticket. Buses are a good suggestion . Summer time table coming into force in May. Until then the 1/1A go past about every 2 hours either way. It stops at the turn off. If you ask the driver he will stop there and give a shout. The 1B goes their early in the morning, lunch time and leaves Pz about 3 pm. It is the only one that actually goes into Lamorna and turns at the Wink.

Mentioned in this post
Lamorna
Lamorna
Penzance, UK
6. Re: Lamorna Cove

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 April 2015, 18:07
Edited: 28 April 2015, 18:07
7. Re: Lamorna Cove

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 April 2015, 18:07
Edited: 28 April 2015, 18:07
St. Andrews...
Level Contributor
152 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lamorna Cove

Best to walk from Mousehole, if the coastal path is too energetic, there's a lovely stroll through the Kemyel farms. The path is clear on the OS maps. Don't bother visiting the previously characterful pub, btw, unless you like wall-to-wall bland, & you can't take your dog inside....

Edited: 27 April 2015, 18:46
Gloucester
Level Contributor
73 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lamorna Cove

Thank you for your comments everyone. My actual plan is to do a walk from Porthcurno to Penzance and stop for lunch at The Wink pub (if they serve food) with a possible detour to view the Merry Maidens as well. Am happy to do this as the place where I am staying is on the west of Penzance so it will be buses to Porthcurno and probably a 13-mile or so walk back to my B&B.

Mentioned in this post
Porthcurno
Porthcurno
437 Reviews
Porthcurno, UK
Penzance
Penzance
Cornwall, UK
Lamorna Wink Pub and Restaurant
Lamorna Wink Pub and...
260 Reviews
Lamorna, UK
Merry Maidens
Merry Maidens
169 Reviews
Lamorna, UK
Penzance, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lamorna Cove

The walk, hike more likely, is going to take you nearly all day. Yes the wink is open for meals. There are no toilets between Porthgwarra and Mousehole, so it might be a good idea to go to the Wink.

From the Wink you actually have to double back, up hill, to the Merry Maidens. The good point is there are 3 bus stops. One at the Wink itself, one at Lamorna turn off and one at the Merry Maidens, should you feel tired. With the right weather this is a brilliant walk. I have done it a few times. Enjoy

Mentioned in this post
Merry Maidens
Merry Maidens
169 Reviews
Lamorna, UK
Lamorna
Lamorna
Penzance, UK
Get answers to your questions about Penzance