We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Ives car parking - August!

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
St Ives car parking - August!

Hi,

We are hoping to come to St Ives next August for 2 weeks and I have managed to find accommodation that is fairly reasonably priced, the downside being it has no car parking space. I am informed by the owner that there is a car park nearby but having read the forums and the issues with parking, my question is - will we get a space! Once it is there I hope to leave it for the 2 weeks, I understand I can buy a pass from the Library for around £35 - is this information up to date?

Any advice appreciated,

Caroline

Mentioned in this post
St Ives
St Ives
Cornwall, UK
Looe, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
709 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Ives car parking - August!

The issue isn't just paying for the space but, if you go out say in the morning and come back at lunch time, there may not be a space in that car park to park in. the space wont be dedicated to you once you have paid for it. You could hang around for ages waiting for someone to come back to their car. You also need to check that you can leave the car in the car park over night. some car parks do shut so you either find you cant get the car out (if you want to make an early start or go out late) or cant get back in. which car park are they suggesting you use? Don't underestimate how incredibly busy St Ives will be in August. Personally I just wouldn't do it. we always stay somewhere that has parking. I just cant be doing with the hassle of it.

Mentioned in this post
St Ives
St Ives
Cornwall, UK
Southampton
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Ives car parking - August!

When you say leave it there for two weeks, do you mean you do not intend to use your car during your holiday? If so, leave it at home and get the train to St Ives. A lot less hassle.

There is a park and ride (using the train) but I am not sure if you can leave your car there over night.

Mentioned in this post
St Ives
St Ives
Cornwall, UK
Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
3,735 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Ives car parking - August!

Ditto the previous posts but why not contact the library yourself and ask them?

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Ives car parking - August!

Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply, I think I was concerned that we wouldn't get a place in one of the long stay car parks so was looking for local advice. We haven't been to the area before so not sure if we will need/ want to use the car during our stay- I guess that's weather dependant.

I have considered train travel but it's £600 for 5 of us so quite costly, therefore driving is preferable (if we can get a space)

Alternatively I have seen a private company that you can leave your car with and have a reserved parking space and have full access to which is around £90 for 2 weeks, which I will investigate further.

As I say, I was just hoping for local knowledge to assist me to make an informed decision.

england
Level Contributor
6,428 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Ives car parking - August!

stivestic.co.uk/visitor-information/getting-…

Have you looked at rail prices for 6-12 weeks ahead, I can't remember when the cheapest fares are released. Also with fares of that price family railcards and/or two together railcards would probably pay for themselves.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,831 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Ives car parking - August!

I too think you're being a bit premature ruling out the train. You are prepared to pay almost £100 just to park the car, never mind the fuel and wear and tear for the return journey, and the total cost for the trip might be more than the rail cost when you look at Advance tickets and railcard discounts.

I could understand a preference to drive if you were going to use the car while you are away, but just to park it up for a fortnight?

Blackpool
Destination Expert
for Blackpool
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Ives car parking - August!

You can buy a 2 week Rover ticket before you go, from Cornwall Council. It costs seventy pounds and lets you stay in the Island Car Park, which is the nearest to all the accommodation.

cornwall.gov.uk/transport-and-streets/…

Like everyone else says though, you are not guaranteed a space. And if you find a space and then take the car out for the day, it is unlikely you will find another space later on. A lot of it is down to luck and patience......

Edited: 21 November 2014, 06:02
Mentioned in this post
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Ives car parking - August!

Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply, I use the train regularly and have no issue with that. In this instance we have 3 kids and will have boogie boards, wetsuits as well as the usual luggage for a 2 week holiday and as we have to change trains 3 times and one of the changes involves getting from Kings Cross to Paddington on the tube (a journey I do regularly!) I think it's easier in the car. But I appreciate we could have problems when we arrive! I think I'll look into the reseverved parking option. Thanks all again.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,782 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Ives car parking - August!

I see why you need a car! But do you need to stay in St Ives? Plenty of other good beaches and accommodation outside the town that will have car parking , then you can take the train or bus into town . If holiday parks appeal, the St Ives Bay park is right on Hayle/Gwithian Towans - huge beach, good surf - and there is a bus stop outside the front gate.

Mentioned in this post
St Ives
St Ives
Cornwall, UK
St Ives Bay
St Ives Bay
227 Reviews
St Ives, UK
Hayle
Hayle
Cornwall, UK
Gwithian Beach
Gwithian Beach
380 Reviews
St Ives, UK
Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St Ives car parking - August!

I suspect the reason the accommodation is reasonably priced is because of the lack of private parking. If you are staying for 2 weeks you will want to explore more of Cornwall than just St Ives so will need to use your car.

Mentioned in this post
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
St Ives
St Ives
Cornwall, UK