We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tell me about Lelant!

febe3
Level Contributor
167 posts
53 reviews
25 helpful votes
Tell me about Lelant!

Hi, looking to return to the St Ives area this summer.

So...been trawling the internet and have found a couple of options, either on the outskirts (as in you can walk into) St Ives and a house in Lelant.

Hubby not bothered about staying in a town as such, I am not sure I want to be in the back of beyond. We are going with two of our daughters...18 and 22 (attraction is free holiday for them!) They don't go out clubbing etc on a holdiay with us, reserve that for mates holidays although we do like to go out in an evening for a meal a few times in the week...anywhere nice...the pub at Gwythian suited us well as it accepted dogs. (we may take ours....jury is out on this!) ( We stayed in Gwythian ,which was lovely, nice beaches but only one pub really and the village shop was in the pub. Would consider going back but the place we stayed is solidly booked all through summer).

So....I can't remember Lelant at all...is it where the train station is? Any pubs or eating places...I see they have a bistro there now which looks nice. Any information anyone?

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,394 posts
1. Re: Tell me about Lelant!

There are two stations in Lelant - one serving the village and the other the St Ives P&R

The one that serves the village has a bit of a limited service - no trains stop for most of the day

There is a regular bus service though, from early morning until midnight

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
376 reviews
200 helpful votes
2. Re: Tell me about Lelant!

There is a large pub, The Badger Inn which is quite pleasant. Its on the main road in Lelant on the junction for the station. There is also the Watermill which is just outside the village in the opposite direction to St Ives, plus there is the The Old Quay House again just outside the village on the Hayle road.

You can also walk the coast path to St Ives which is a lovely walk, and the train service is very frequent into St Ives.

The main road thru the village gets very busy, so its worth checking that your property isn't too close to that road if you want some peace and quiet.

Stalybridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
95 reviews
103 helpful votes
3. Re: Tell me about Lelant!

I agree with all that has been said above. Also there is Birdies Bistro and Scarlet Wines (Deli that does food). Lelant is a good place to stay as you have access to the good transport links of Lelant Saltings Railway Station (especially if you are staying at Saltings Reach) and the good bus service into St Ives. The estuary there is also a fascinating place to look at at different kinds of birds and you might see Little Egrets, herons and Oystercatchers. You can also work past St Uny Church over the golf course down onto Porthkidney Sands. If the tide is a good way out you can walk right round Carrack Gladden to Carbis Bay Beach (only make sure you do this if you know the tide times and depths). Failing that you can get on the South West Coast path there and walk all the way to St Ives.

Nearby Hayle has an ASDA, Co-op and Lidl and a variety of shops, pubs and restaurants. As mentioned, the road through Lelant gets very busy so make sure your holiday property is well away from the main road.

Lelant will give you a much quieter holiday but with good access to St Ives and good road links for days out other places.

Suzi

febe3
Level Contributor
167 posts
53 reviews
25 helpful votes
4. Re: Tell me about Lelant!

Thank you, and thanks for info re road...not thought of that. Will have a look at map and try and work out which area is best. Was either Lelant or Carbis bay..am inclining to Lelant as seem to be more eateries there..and the beach is dog friendly

sheffield
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
21 helpful votes
5. Re: Tell me about Lelant!

I really like Lelant but it is rather spread out. If you stay at Lelant Saltings you are within walking distance of several pubs and cafes plus you can get the train to St.Ives and to St Erth for Truro shopping. Buses all go through also. We stayed in A very nice 2 bed cottage which had a garden for the dog and parking(always a bonus)Try Cornish Gems holiday lets. Avoid the Badger Inn! It's a great base for exploring as its just off the A30 so no queuing to get in and out of St Ives. Hope you have fun.

UK
Level Contributor
3,982 posts
102 reviews
158 helpful votes
6. Re: Tell me about Lelant!

I get the impression that Lelant is for well-off people, some nice houses there. It has the advantage that you can take the path across the golf course to Porthkidney Sands very easily. Such night life as there is in the area, however, is in St Ives or Penzance. Lelant is built up, but it's residential

7. Re: Tell me about Lelant!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2016, 01:16
Get answers to your questions about St Ives
Recent Conversations