We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January next year

merseyside
Level Contributor
381 posts
266 reviews
January next year

We came to St Ives a few years ago for holiday and loved it, haven't been since though. It's a special birthday for my husband next January so we are going to take a holiday in the uk, and I was thinking of St Ives. Looking on here though quite a few restaurants and cafes seem to close just after new year for a couple of months, is this the case, and how quiet will it be in the area?

Thanks for any replies

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,645 posts
84 reviews
1. Re: January next year

There are people live in St Ives all year round, so there will be some places open, many will have reduced hours even if they are open, but you will be able to find somewhere to eat and drink. It will be very quiet, and the weather will be unpredictable, but you can still have a good break, just probably nothing like your previous holiday!

merseyside
Level Contributor
381 posts
266 reviews
2. Re: January next year

Thanks Annabelle

england
Level Contributor
6,724 posts
130 reviews
3. Re: January next year

as it's a special birthday you might like to look at staying here tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186243-d2509… They sometimes have good offers in winter, the views are great and although I haven't stayed there in years recent reviews seem good.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,782 posts
45 reviews
4. Re: January next year

Another hotel with fantastic location - practically in the sea its so close, is the Pedn Olva. Closet to town centre than Tregenna Castle. Can't say more as I've never stayed

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
93 reviews
5. Re: January next year

Most restaurants are open all year round. There is only the odd one that closes for the winter and there are a few that close for just a few weeks in January so I guess it depends when in January it is. I reckon that you won't get more than 6 that are closed though so you should be fine.

Suzi

merseyside
Level Contributor
381 posts
266 reviews
6. Re: January next year

Thanks everyone,

We have booked for 2 weeks comm 16th January and are really looking forward to coming back.

Anne

Penzance, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
24 reviews
7. Re: January next year

January will be quiet in St.Ives, but a much better time than high season, when you can not move because of all the visitors. Most places are open all the year round and you will definitely find things to enjoy. Weather permitting.

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
93 reviews
8. Re: January next year

I reckon you'll be fine. I think there are about two restaurants that close for a week around 5th January and the other few close from October but there are lots of restaurants so you'll be grand :)

Suzi

9. Re: January next year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2016, 02:16
Get answers to your questions about St Ives
Recent Conversations