We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

information on Carbis Bay anyone?

febe3
Level Contributor
159 posts
53 reviews
information on Carbis Bay anyone?

Looking at Carbis Bay, or possibley Lelant for holiday....know about Lelant but have only driven thorugh Carbis Bay briefly a few years ago. We would be self catering, and may bring dog...how dog friendly is it? I know the beach bans dogs in summer (there are other beaches nearby that are dog friendly)

Reastaurants/shops? Don't always want to get in the car and drive out in eveing...stayed in Gwythian last time, pub nearby but place we stayed fully booked

Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: information on Carbis Bay anyone?

From Carbis Bay it is an easy walk into St Ives or you could catch the train.

Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
975 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: information on Carbis Bay anyone?

Yes, there's not a lot in Carbis Bay itself apart from the amazing beach, but it is only about 25 min walk into St Ives. Buses run quite late too (although by the time you've hiked up the hill to the Malakoff you might as well walk back..!)

Also buses into Penzance via Lelant and Crowlas (for the excellent star inn) so you wouldn't necessarily have to use the car.

Penzance, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: information on Carbis Bay anyone?

Carbis Bay and Lelant have some lovely B&Bs and small hotels to stay in. There will be good bus travel in the summer, but be aware that there will be a lot of traffic congestion. Dogs are banned on most beaches now, but there lots of coastal walks where you can take the dog. I personally feel it is better to stay in Carbis Bay or Lelant than St.Ives itself. Gwithian at the moment is still very busy with building work for the new developments going up. Have a nice holiday

penzance
Level Contributor
172 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: information on Carbis Bay anyone?

Dogs are welcome on the church side of lelant beach all year round

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
93 reviews
5. Re: information on Carbis Bay anyone?

Carbis Bay is very steep which is what gives you the great sea views. Most properties will have a parking space. Other than when you use your car, you need to be fit to stay at Carbis Bay as it is up and down hill when you walk most places. I find it great exercise and love walking into St Ives (20 mins). The small station takes you into St Ives in a couple of minutes which is a real bonus if the walk one way has tired you out.

There are a few shops and restaurants on the main road and a bar on the beach but Carbis Bay is extremely quiet in comparison to St Ives. I stay there often and enjoy the peace and quiet, the walks, the beach, the good transport and the luxury of a parking space and fabulous sea views.

It's a short walk along the coast path to Porthkidney Sands which is a very dog friendly beach plus you have all the coast path to walk with your dog.

I think Carbis Bay is a brilliant place to stay hence why I go such a lot. Make sure your accommodation is nearer the beach than the main road though for better sea views and more peace and the noises of the sea and seabirds.

Suzi

Edited: 15 February 2015, 08:10
6. Re: information on Carbis Bay anyone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2016, 00:15
Get answers to your questions about St Ives
Recent Conversations