We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap Holiday on a budget in St Ives in 2016

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cheap Holiday on a budget in St Ives in 2016

Please has anyone got any ideas on where we can stay in or near St Ives for a inexpensive holiday, as most of the Holiday Cottages/caravans I have looked at are far too expensive for us for more than a week in August 2016. There will be 3 of us.

Mentioned in this post
St Ives
St Ives
Cornwall, UK
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,650 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap Holiday on a budget in St Ives in 2016

August is at a premium - it may be better if you consider going before or after August. Camping is the cheapest - I expect there will be deals nearer the time when campers have not been booked. Have a look on sites like Groupon nearer the time. Also look at Bodmin or North Cornwall/Somerset. You can always do a day trip to St Ives from there.

I stay at the Treloyhan Manor Park Hotel which is run by the Christian Guild simply because they are the cheapest £40 a night for a double room in April and are walking distance to the centre - but even they get very expensive in August. I notice that Tregenna Castle have started doing self catering - I used to stay there but they seem to have put their prices up.

Mentioned in this post
Bodmin
Bodmin
Cornwall, UK
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Somerset
Somerset
England, UK
St Ives
St Ives
Cornwall, UK
Tregenna Castle Resort
Tregenna Castle Resort
2,891 Reviews
St Ives, UK
Blackpool
Destination Expert
for Blackpool
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap Holiday on a budget in St Ives in 2016

Prices drop dramatically in September...could you not go then??

Looe, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
711 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap Holiday on a budget in St Ives in 2016

The words - August holiday, St Ives and Cheap just don't go together I am afraid. August is absolute peak season and the Gove changes to holidays in term time mean that all school children can now only go in school hols so it is way busier and way more booked up than in the past. what do you class as cheap and how many days do you want? why St Ives, it will be really busy. why not look at bit further afield or elsewhere in Cornwall. Camping is the cheapest option and don't think that caravans are always cheaper than cottages because they are definitely not! Widen your search by geography, date and accommodation type as much as you can and you might find something. please also tell us what you consider "expensive" and what you consider "cheap" it really helps to work out if there is some chance or no chance of helping you find what you want.

Mentioned in this post
St Ives
St Ives
Cornwall, UK
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Weymouth, United...
Level Contributor
494 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap Holiday on a budget in St Ives in 2016

we stayed as a family near to St Ives in a holiday park called St Ives Bay Holiday park for about £300 for a week in April 2013. Very close to St Ives and could get there by car or train (can't remember if there was a bus). I would suggest not going in august as prices obviously go up and the weather will be just as good in September and also a lot less tourists!

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g528841-d6201…

Mentioned in this post
St Ives
St Ives
Cornwall, UK
St Ives Bay Holiday Park
St Ives Bay Holiday Park
849 Reviews
Hayle, UK
Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap Holiday on a budget in St Ives in 2016

Thank you for all advice and I recognise the message from fellow artist Jane C. August is the best time for us due to still having one child at school and doing Exams next year too.

UK
Level Contributor
6,391 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap Holiday on a budget in St Ives in 2016

An indication of budget will help determine whether your trip is realistic or not. You're considering visiting one of he most expensive places at an expensive time of year. As changing the timing of your holiday is not an option the best plan will be to shift your focus to another area, Cornwall had much to offer away from the fashionable destinations.

Mentioned in this post
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Northamptonshire...
Destination Expert
for Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire, Cotswolds
Level Contributor
5,108 posts
1,545 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap Holiday on a budget in St Ives in 2016

Maybe a long shot but perhaps try somewhere like st ives bay holiday park in nearby Hayle......it is right on the beach and has all the trimmings,clubhouse,amusements,swimming pool,camping area and WAS always reasonably priced when we went in August........

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap Holiday on a budget in St Ives in 2016

Will do. Thank you.

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap Holiday on a budget in St Ives in 2016

Try Beachside at Hayle too.

Mentioned in this post
Hayle
Hayle
Cornwall, UK
Northamptonshire...
Destination Expert
for Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire, Cotswolds
Level Contributor
5,108 posts
1,545 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap Holiday on a budget in St Ives in 2016

The travelodge on the a30 near the Hayle/angarack turning,that is really cheap and cheerful and about a 15 to 20 minute drive from St Ives

Mentioned in this post
Hayle
Hayle
Cornwall, UK
St Ives
St Ives
Cornwall, UK