We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A30 hell :-)

Cardiff
Level Contributor
167 posts
3 reviews
A30 hell :-)

Hello.

We've always been to St. Ives out of season and have seen horrendous queues on the A30 where it goes down to one lane on the first day of half term as we've been heading home.

This year due to our daughter being school age are going in late July but have a Friday changeover.

Can anyone with experience of doing the run during the school holidays tell me how long it takes to get through the queues and know whether:-

Fridays any quieter on the A30

Whether it's worth taking the A38 & re-joing the A30 after Bodmin (are there any similar pinchpoints)

Or should I just suck it up and get into the holiday spirit?

Edited: 05 May 2016, 08:34
Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
2,716 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: A30 hell :-)

Leave very early in the morning to avoid the Bristol rush hour. Come down the A30 not the A38 if you are going to St Ives. Plan to stop somewhere to have breakfast and occupy your day until you can get into your accommodation e.g. Falmouth, Kynance Cove - whatever takes your fancy. Friday may be easier but on the other hand it may not. It only takes an accident or breakdown and there will be a huge jam.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
167 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: A30 hell :-)

Thanks for the reply. We do intend to leave early to miss the traffic around Bristol but my wife is adamant she's not going to go without her Darts Farm breakfast and a spot of retail therapy!

Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
2,716 posts
35 reviews
3. Re: A30 hell :-)

I hope she doesn't grumble if you get stuck in the traffic. Sometimes sacrifices have to be made. I'm sure a good breakfast can be found in Cornwall.

Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
5,767 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: A30 hell :-)

Most rental properties have Friday changeovers so these days are usually as bad as Saturdays. I'd head down Thursday night and stay in a Travelodge or equivalent somewhere

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,645 posts
84 reviews
5. Re: A30 hell :-)

The road works around Temple can be slow going in heavy traffic, so be prepared for that too.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,782 posts
45 reviews
6. Re: A30 hell :-)

Aim to get on the road early enough to be past Bodmin by about 10am, assuming normal traffic conditions, and you will hopefully miss the worst of the jams. But personally I wouldn't leave it much later. The A30 is hell on summer weekends.

Edited: 05 May 2016, 12:06
Cardiff
Level Contributor
167 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: A30 hell :-)

That's for all the replies everyone. Sounds like a compromise plan and be out of Darts Farm by 9am sharp!

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
4,047 posts
72 reviews
8. Re: A30 hell :-)

Some properties have Friday change over and some still have Saturday in order to spread the 'load'.

Leave very early - aim to be here before 10am and then spend the day somewhere else nearby so you don't get stuck in traffic again. Watch out for the endless road works at Bodmin. Going home if it's the following Friday, it will be the same, so perhaps another really early start.

We used to drive from Hampshire, 180 miles to Trevor (Padstow). One year we left at 5am and were sitting on the beach at 8am. (And yes, I may have driven above 70 some of the way).

Blackpool
Destination Expert
for Blackpool
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
44 reviews
9. Re: A30 hell :-)

For the last few years (September though, not July), we have used the A38 then the A390 to Truro via St Austell, joining the A30 at Three Burrows. I know its a lot further but its much more interesting and have never really been caught up in traffic. What this route is like in July I have no idea, but hopefully a local could enlighten us.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
46 reviews
10. Re: A30 hell :-)

Why not treat yourselves to breakfast at 15 in Morgan Porth?

https://www.fifteencornwall.co.uk/

I guarantee, if you book breakfast here, your wife will not be disappointed!

I live quite near to Darts farm and often pick up friends at Newquay airport before heading to St Ives for the weekend. Newquay airport is very close to 15. It's about 45 mins to st Ives from here and if your wife really needs a little retail therapy, you could always pop into M&S and a few other shops, about 15 mins from St Ives. Enjoy!

Edited: 06 May 2016, 08:28
Get answers to your questions about St Ives
Recent Conversations