We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth your time to go to St Ives?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
3 posts
88 reviews
Is it worth your time to go to St Ives?

We had only two days to explore Cornwall, and greatly regret allocating some of our very limited time to this tacky tourist trap. It might have been a quaint fishing village and artist colony some years ago, but is no more. Imagine Caramel, California but a la Walmart. The town's streets are lined by cheap shops hawking cheesy souvenirs and restaurants with formulaic tourist menus. Though it lacks a sea coast, we preferred Truro, a Cornish town with real people.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
291 posts
1. Re: Is it worth your time to go to St Ives?

I like caramels, very tasty.

I also like the sticky toffee pudding from Cartmel.

I enjoyed the drive along the coast at Carmel.

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
2. Re: Is it worth your time to go to St Ives?

lined by cheap shops hawking cheesy souvenirs and restaurants with formulaic tourist menus.

That actually is a British seaside town. Sounds authentic to me. Sorry it doesn't press the American "quaint" (ghastly word) button. Try Disney.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,135 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: Is it worth your time to go to St Ives?

Did you not enjoy the Tate?

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,475 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: Is it worth your time to go to St Ives?

Ah, but who does the best caramels in St Ives?

Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
2,726 posts
35 reviews
5. Re: Is it worth your time to go to St Ives?

The Tate is closed until March.

He obviously missed the excitement of the rush hour in Truro.

Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
2,726 posts
35 reviews
6. Re: Is it worth your time to go to St Ives?

Cornwall is popular with tourists. I find it odd that a tourist should complain about a place being popular with tourists because it is the tourists that have made it what it is. Tourism is now the biggest industry in Cornwall and without tourists there would be no little shops, cafes, restaurants, tours,holiday accommodation, jobs for the residents and so on. Cornwall is one of the most expensive places in the U.K. to live but also the average wage is one of the lowest in the country. I welcome tourists.

Having said that, as a resident of Truro it is good to know after all these years that I am a "real" person.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
5,417 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Is it worth your time to go to St Ives?

To paraphrase Basil Fawlty, what were you expecting, a panorama of the vast swathe of the Serengeti?

If you were expecting a tiny unspoilt fishing village then you went to the wrong place. There are plenty of them in Cornwall but they tend not to be the better known places. Any half way popular seaside resort in the UK has its share of tacky souvenir and take away places, some of them selling caramels - I even think there might be a few in Carmel. None in Cartmel mind, but that's not on the sea.

The real beauty of Cornwall is not in any towns anyway but in the coastline between them. There are splendid coastal walks either side of St Ives

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,853 posts
391 reviews
8. Re: Is it worth your time to go to St Ives?

I tend to agree with OP. Over-rated, like the Cotswolds... which are also full of tourists

Wiltshire UK
Level Contributor
181 posts
187 reviews
9. Re: Is it worth your time to go to St Ives?

Did you go to the same St Ives that we go to and LOVE every year? We like great food, great wine, wonderful scenery, walking, coastlines, and also this year spent a one day workshop with a St Ives artist.

Bliss. Already booked again for next year. Can't wait.

Wiltshire UK
Level Contributor
181 posts
187 reviews
10. Re: Is it worth your time to go to St Ives?

Loughtonian 1 Ah yes, at times the Costwolds do get very busy with coach trips but that's because it's where everyone wants to go. But being a local we know where to go and when. Beautful countryside. Off the beaten track, that's where you need to be.

Edited: 27 September 2016, 14:55
Get answers to your questions about St Ives
Recent Conversations