We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time to devon with children

Upminster
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
first time to devon with children

Are thinking of holidaying in devon this summer but have no idea where to stay. We have two children aged six and eight months so need an area that could suit both - if possible! Any ideas as to areas to stay would be much appreciated and if anyone has had any good experiences of self-catering places that would be much appreciated to!

Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time to devon with children

Hi

You don't mention if you have a car, or whether you would like South Devon or North?

We have a holiday home in Brixham, so are regular visitors to the area and just love it.

Check out www.englishriviera.co.uk for things to do in the area.

Lots of Log cabins/caravans, Hoseasons, John Fowler (local Company) should help.

One thing I would advise is to remember it does get busy in school holidays, so don't leave it till last minute, more & more families are holidaying at home these days, we have definitely noticed this the last couple of years.

Need any further help just ask, happy to help.

Regards

Janice

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,716 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time to devon with children

Well, personally I'd recommend North Devon! If the sun shines you can find few places better to be and children seem to love the area.

There are wonderful beaches at Woolacombe, Croyde, Rockham and Saunton. Braunton Burrows are wonderful for a climb and play amongst the dunes.

For days out you have the Big Sheep (Abbotsham), a farm park with a huge indoor play area, and the Milky Way (near Clovelly), a place with rides and another large play area for children of all ages. There is also the Combe Martin Wildlife Park and Dinosaur Park (fairly self explanatory!)

Arlington Court has a nice carriage museum with working horses and often has activities for children, too:

nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-arlingtoncourt

You can hire bikes (and trailers for little ones) from Barnstaple (Tarka bike hire) and head along the Tarka Trail.

Visit Lynmouth and use the funicular railway to go up to Lynton. There is an Aquarium at Ilfracombe and a nice little museum at Barnstaple.

.....And so much more!

For self catering; near Barnstaple friends have stayed at and very much liked The Stables:

http://www.tanneryhouse.com/pages/tour.html

Others have found places through Toad Hall Cottages:

toadhallcottages.co.uk/holiday-cottages/…

For mobiles homes/cabins try Woolacombe Bay:

http://www.woolacombe.co.uk/

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
868 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time to devon with children

Well, you have had people recommending the South and the North: allow me to recommend gorgeous and very family friendly East Devon. Check out www.eastdevonexcellence.co.uk for some great images and inspiring ideas of where to stay, eat and explore.

Good sites to source child friendly accommodation (and where you deal direct with owners, not agencies) are www.childfriendlycottages.co.uk or www.awaywiththekids.co.uk.

But wherever you end up, you'll enjoy it.

Manchester
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: first time to devon with children

I'd recommend North Devon as well and Tarka Holiday Park http://www.tarkaholidaypark.co.uk/

It's great for kids as there are great places to have fun including the Tarka Trail - where you can hire kids bike and a buggy's.

Have fun

england
Level Contributor
5,056 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time to devon with children

south and north devon have sandy beaches, east devon has mainly pebble, a bit of sand on Seaton at low tide. Have stayed at both north and south and dawlish warren is my favourite beach for small children - soft sand, sand dunes behind and shallow water initially. Northern beaches are good but didn't rate the places we stayed.

It's a long time now so don't remmeber where we stayed at Dawlish but friends stayed at the Haven at Exmouth. That is near Crealy Devon (indoor play and animals as well as rides) and next door to the world of country life for bad weather. Also a train ride from Exeter for a little retail therapy.

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time to devon with children

You don't mention self catering....If you do this you are likely to "dine out" a bit...In north devon my experiences are "few and far".

Brixham mentioned above I would cheer at... some "secret beaches"

Good luck!!

7. Re: first time to devon with children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 23:18