We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for Devon

canberra
Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for Devon

We are a middle aged couple travelling from Australia to spend a week in Devon. We have never visited Devon before.

We want 'peace and quiet' activities such as walking, good food, history, views, and do not seek 'noise' such as big cities and tourist beaches with amusement parks, etc.

Can anyone please suggest either 1 or 2 places to be used as a base and suggestions to visit

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for Devon

I've been a frequent (UK) visitor to Devon for some years now. I'd recommend staying just outside Exeter. I use Lower Thornton Farm, at Kenn. It's listed on TA. http://www.lowerthorntonfarm.co.uk/

The accommodation is excellent, ask for the four poster room if it's available. The place is blissfully peaceful, tucked away in the Haldon Hills.

Take a look at Google Maps and you'll see that you are only a mile or so away from a good network of main roads, the A38 for south west Devon, the M5 for North Somerset, the A30 for central Devon, the A 379 or A380 for Torquay and the English Riviera, the A3052 for East Devon and Dorset's Jurassic coast, the A377 for Barnstaple and north west Devon and Somerset. You can travel just about anywhere in the region quite comfortably within a day.

You haven't said when you're visiting, be warned the Devon and Exeter show takes place mid May, and the area can become congested for two or three days.

Edited: 26 January 2012, 03:07
France
Level Contributor
685 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for Devon

Peace and quiet will depend on when you are planning to visit?

Gloucestershire
Level Contributor
177 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for Devon

The South Hams (the area between Dartmouth and Plymouth) is my favourite part of Devon

Very pretty villages, good beaches and lots of walking opportunities

visitsouthdevon.co.uk/explore-south-devon/so…

www.southdevonaonb.org.uk/sites.asp?PageId=32

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for Devon

Some suggestions now:-

http://www.lotstodo.co.uk/ This gives plenty of ideas, it's not all for children, so you should find a few things there.

Killerton House a few miles north of Exeter is owned by the NT.

Seaton has a tramway, well worth spending an hour or two there.

A few miles further east is Beer, home to Peco model railways. They have verty attractive gardens and a narrow gauge railway you can ride on.

Morwellham Quay near Tavistock is a sort of 'Living Museum' feature. It's still in the process of being refurbished. It featured a year or so back on TV when BBC did The Edwardian Farm series.

You have Dartmoor across much of south Devon, and Exmoor running from North Devon into Somerset.

Buckfastleigh is home to Buckfast Abbey, and nearby Totnes museum has info about Charles Babbage, who invented the first (mechanical) calculator.. There's also a preservation steam railway runs between the two towns.

The Tiverton Canal Company offer horse-drawn canal trips.

They're all there on Google if you want more information. School holidays here are six weeks from the end of July, through August into early September.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,716 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for Devon

As others have said, we will be able to advise more if you let us know when you'll visit but you could consider the lovely 'twin villages' of Lynton and Lynmouth on the North Devon coast. They are very pretty and close to to many fantastic walks including Watersmeet, the Valley of the Rocks, the walk to Woody Bay and on to Heddon's Mouth or up on the moor from Contisbury Hill.

You are well placed to explore Exmoor and not far from Arlington Court of the National Trust for a history fix (also good walking and nice food!) and 30-40 mins drive from Barnstaple.

http://www.lynton-lynmouth-tourism.co.uk/

canberra
Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for Devon

Sincere thanks to everyone who has responded. It is very much appreciated. We will be travelling at the end of June. Based on the feedback to date, can anyone suggest if we are better a) spending 3 nights on the North coast and 3 on the south or b) simply staying in one location?

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for Devon

I have a cousin who lives in Porlock, North Somerset. When we were staying in Exeter, we took a very leisurely half day travelling up to Porlock, spent time in Lynton, and had a very enjoyable 3 hours or so with my cousin and made our way back down to Exeter in little over an hour.

As I said, travel is very easy from Exeter. In the end, it depends how often you want to unpack.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,811 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for Devon

I would agree with Riotstar about North Devon & Exmoor, a lovely area. Lots of tea rooms & history as it is a National Park area with plenty of National Trust properties. There is a walk through the Valley of the Rocks (its an easy paved path but with great views) part of the Lorna Doone story as is the river at Brendon & Oare Church. Watersmeet and the walk up by the river is beautiful and a wonderful location to have lunch or tea. The drive over the moors from Lynmouth is spectacular for views of the coast, wildlife & moorland.

Just over the border in Somerset you have places like Selworthy with a thatched village green and cream tea in thatched cottages, Dunster an ancient but thriving village with a castle.

Have a look on the Somerset Forum, click on the top green band of boxes 'things to do' & down that page on the right is a little box 'Advice from Real Travellers'

www.cliffrailwaylynton.co.uk

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/211751

visitdunster.co.uk/visitdunster-Exmoor-Natio…

It will give you typical English countryside, historic buildings- indeed whole villages! Gardens and being a country area you will find people talking with you.

Just have to say Broadland, it is West Somerset....North is Bath. Come over the border when you are next down and have a cup of tea?

Devon
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for Devon

Don't think anyone has yet mentioned East Devon. Where (Jurassic) Coast meets beautiful countryside inland. One World Heritage Site and two Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty no less! Check out www.eastdevonexcellence.co.uk for inspiration. You won't be disappointed!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,716 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for Devon

Hello again Stewart R,

Well, 3 days in the north/south/east would give you a taste of each place, but it would really be a brief snap shot rather than a real getting to know the areas.

It really depends on how you prefer to holiday; for me personally I'd spend the 6 days in one location and seeing all that area has to offer, but that's just how I tend to like to do things on a relaxing holiday!