We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is torquay more suited to older people?

Which Torquay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cheshire
Level Contributor
103 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
is torquay more suited to older people?

i haveh eard 2 differant sides re: torquay for a holiday one tells me its mainly for older people the other says its now more popular with stag and hen partys, we are 36 and 41 married couple, no kids lookng for a holiday for a wk in torquay, like sandy beaches, pubs with entertainment places to eat, visit, boat trips etc we are looking at staying in a self catering apartment mid-end june 2012, i have been looking at atlantis apts, astor house and barramore apts, can anyone advise me if torquay would suit us and if anyone has any info on above acomadation or any holiday flats in torquay.

thanks

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,503 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: is torquay more suited to older people?

Hi,

We have stayed in the TLH complex in the hotels and are this time staying in their apartments. We had a look around all the apartments there on change-over day last year and they all looked good.

There is a variety of entertainment on in all 4 hotels during the evening as well as organised adult , teens and kids activities during the day.

The 2 indoor pools ,sauna,steam room,jacuzzi are all free for residents as well as outdoor pools. Hoping it's better weather when we go this summer as it's rained more or less constantly the last twice we have been. But with it all being undercover we walked miles doing things around the hotel without getting soaked!

We always leave the car parked up all holiday and enjoy walks along to Paignton and Cockington.

We didn't like Newquay at night time on our last visit and had to walk down back streets to get back from one end of the main street to the other as it was so rough with drunken youngsters (and we do like a lively atmosphere, but not with bottles winging their way past our heads lol) .

We feel quite safe around Torquay, and especially enjoy the bars around the harbour.

I would definitely recommend having a look at TLH apartments.

We have also stayed in Paignton and found The Palace hotel good the twice we stayed, with indoor swimming pool and parking .Right on the seafront facing the green but It does have lots of coach parties and the evening entertainment is geared towards the oldies.

But a few minutes walk and there are plenty of nice bars nearby.

Cranmore lodge, self catering apartments on the seafront at Preston sands,Paignton is really nice as well. No swimming pool but has gardens and plenty of free parking on their premises.

cheshire
Level Contributor
103 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: is torquay more suited to older people?

hi i had a look at TLH apaartments i rang for price but it was more than we were looking to pay at £636 self catering. i also looked at the the palace hotel in paignton the dates we want are booked. i have got prices for barrmaore , derwent hill and the atlantis holiday apartments in torquay for june all have a outddor pool. if anyone has any information on these apartments or any others int torquay with either a indoor or outdoor pool and car park please let me know.

thanks for all the advice

louise

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,503 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: is torquay more suited to older people?

I'd definitely recommend Cranmore Lodge Apartments, Preston Sands, Paignton .Right by the seafront and very good accommodation and not too far to walk to bars.

Hasn't got a bar or swimming pool but has a good carpark and gardens and I wouldn't hesitate to book again if looking for self catering in Paignton area.

Edited: 26 April 2012, 17:56
cheshire
Level Contributor
103 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: is torquay more suited to older people?

hi ive looked at cranmore apts in paignton looked nice but have now decided on hudsons bay apartments in paignton good price modern apartments and a garden at the back and a carpark so it suits our requirments, hoping to book tommorw they have held it provisionlly for us til we know 100% that hubby has got the holidays (been of this wk) thanks to everyone for all your help and advice any info on pubs, bars, excusions, best beaches etc etc id be gratefull of .. once again thanks :)

louise

25. Re: is torquay more suited to older people?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 May 2012, 14:05
cheshire
Level Contributor
103 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: is torquay more suited to older people?

hi been newquay twice loved it the first time 2nd time was terrible ruined by stag/hen partys and drunken young ones , also its a 7 hour drive from me we flew there but on 2nd viist they couldnt let the plane land in newquay due to fog and we were left to make out own way home the next day as well as finding accomadation in newquay at 9pm on a saturday night .

27. Re: is torquay more suited to older people?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2013, 05:38